Savannah and Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Fort Pierce
August 23rd 2015
Published: August 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

We have had an eventful couple of weeks since our last blog.


After leaving Tennessee, we returned to a couple of our favourite places to share with Jason, including Savannah and Saint Augustine, where we were lucky enough to run into our Pirate Friend on the way to Daytona.

The boys spent a glorious 2 hours touring the Daytona International Speedway (while I enjoyed some pampering). This is the birth place of Nascar. Before it was built in 1959, cars were raced on Daytona Beach. Now that would be something to see!

On our way down to the Florida Keys we went through a little town called Naples. It is the home to Americas most expensive zipcode, Port Royal, WOW! We found a cheap little place, for a cool 20 million dollars, with an infinity pool, our own boat and slip and too many rooms to name, but Florida is just a little too hot and humid for us!

On our way down to the "Keys" we went for an airboat tour in the Everglades, where we were soaked in an unexpected downpour. We met some rather large "gators" and some other interesting creatures that you will see in our pictures. (The diverse animals that we have met has really been a huge highlight throughout our adventure).

We stopped in at Key Largo, which bought back family memories of a Kenny Rogers song my parents loved. (I'm sure a lot of you remember that one!) While there, we went down to Robbies Pier for some 4 dollar fun. This granted us access to the Pier, a bucket of fish and what proceeded was lots of squeals and laughter as we fed some local tarpon, up to 5 feet long!

Then onto Key West, the most southern point of mainland USA, only 90 miles from Cuba.

The "Keys" as a whole, is a beautiful picturesque place, island after island connected by the Overseas Highway. The water is aqua blue and you can see the varying depths as the colours in the water change. It is abundant with fish and sealife and there are always lots of boats and jet skis to see.

It is however, a little torturous for someone like me, who likes to be in the crystal clear beautiful water. There seems to be few places that you can actually get into the water from, it is more of a boating community then swimming, with lots of marinas. We did however, enjoy a swim and a look around when we did a snorkeling trip. The visibility and sealife was abundant in this protected sanctuary.

After a few relaxing days in Marathon, we made our way up to Homestead, where they have an International Raceway and the last Nascar race of the year. That is where Daniel was surprised with his early birthday present, provided by Miami Exotic Cars, where he drove some hot laps in a Lamborghini. Daniel was so thrilled, you couldn't wipe the smile from his face!
Mission accomplished a surprise for Daniel's 40th birthday.
(Thanks Jas)
Miami was the last destination in our wonderful American Roadtrip with Jason, who flew out earlier this week. It has been a lot of fun, with lots of new memories to share.

Currently we are staying at Fort Pierce, Florida. One of our favourite seaside places in the US. Each day we visit the Pier and see at least one or two Manatees, it is truely a sight to behold.

So for now, we will bid you goodbye as we enjoy our little cottage on the beach with it's diverse and wonderful sealife.

Stay safe Y'All.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 24


Advertisement





Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb