Farewell Mainland US, aloha Hawaii.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
September 4th 2015
Published: September 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Fort Pierce. It was the perfect place to chill out and the scenery and wildlife is to die for.
Most days we saw manatees, schools of fish, that at times, were small bait balls being chased by bigger fish, reef sharks or dolphins. The water is just teeming with sealife and so many varieties of birds. This place is heaven, all except for the noseeums, the little bitey bugs you can't see!
While there we visited the Navy Seal Museum, the only one in the US. It was awesome and a must do. We learnt all about the "Seals" named after the environments they operate in, Sea, air and land and the important role they have played in every conflict since WW2. These guys are hard core, mentally and physically strong and most comfortable in the ocean. Back in the day, these guys were called "frogmen" dismantling underwater bombs in only their swimsuits, mask, fins and wire cutters...amazing! Oh and you could dress up as a "Seal" so I couldn't miss that opportunity!
On August the 30, after Tropical Storm Erika more or less passed us by, we farewelled Fort Pierce and stayed our last night on Continental America at Fort Lauderdale.
As we flew out the next day and saw our last glimpes of mainland US we somewhat sentimentally said "goodbye and thanks for the mindblowing memories".

On our way home we stopped in Hawaii staying on Oahu Island, Waikiki. While there we felt that is was a necessity to visit Pearl Harbour, where, on December 7th 1941, World War 2 came to the Pacific with the bombing of 21 battleships. Quite remarkably, all but 3 ships were repaired to serve in World war 2. Of the 3 ships sunk, the Arizona remains on Battleship Row in Pearl Harbour, now a memorial. In 12 minutes on that horrendous day in 1941, 980 of 1177 seaman lost their lives to be entombed for all eternity on the Arizona. Oil still seeps from her and is said to be "the tears of the Arizona". The seaman were on average 21. As you can imagine it was a truely touching experience. Later that day we visited USS Missouri, where 70 years previously (September 2 1945) the unconditional surrender was signed ending World War 2. We also saw many sailors who served on her all those years ago, elderly gentlemen with so many stories.

We toured the Island of Oahu, visiting both a macadamia and pineapple farm and many beaches that hold surfing competitions including the Pipeline. The beaches are comparable to the beaches in OZ....absolutely beautiful, except they don't have big sharks! As with most of our adventures, we saw incredible wildlife including tortoises, an endangered monk seal and we snorkeled with green sea turtles. The wildlife is always a highlight.

On our last day in Hawaii, we climbed Diamond Head, an extinct volcano. It was a glorious way to finish off our American Adventures. The vantage point gave us sweeping views of the Island.

So after 13 flights, 38 states, 22191 miles (35,505 kms) and at least 85 different accomodations, we decided that 8 months of traveling was enough for now. We have had wonderful adventures and made new friends and memories that will last a lifetime. So now we are setting up home in Albany with Daniel's Mum and our 4 legged boys for a while we reflect on the experiences we've had and contemplate the next ones.

Thanks to everyone who has shared our adventures.

So for now signing off.

Livin the dream, The Jaytrippers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement




Sailors who survived the attack on the Arizona, often choose to return to the Arizona and their upon, upon death.





Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb