Killing of the American Indians


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
January 22nd 2014
Published: January 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

One of the genocides that is often brushed under the rug is the genocide of the American Indians. In 1492, Columbus "discovered" America. Even though Columbus was fully aware that there was always people living on the land, he proclaimed the land to now belong to England. This day is often celebrated among Americans; however, this serves as a very somber date for American Indians because of the mast killing of our people that followed these English men landing on our land. "Indian Removal" policy was made to clear the land for white settlers. The American Indians were either relocated and forced to move into communities strictly for them or killed. Communities and villages were killed by military or biological warfare. The Removal Act of 1830 led to the "Trail of Tears" in 1838. This was a forced march of the Cherokee Indians that lead to the destruction of most of the Cherokee population. The new communities where the American Indians were forced to live caused increased death because of disease, starvation, and harsh conditions during the march. This is extremely important because it lead to the decrease population of my ancestors ,and also lead to the stereotypes that American Indians are poor and unable to contribute to society.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb