Nothing Says I Am a Tourist Like Asking for Directions


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
April 19th 2013
Published: April 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I am a very independent as many world travellers are. As a result I do not like to take tours and other structured activities to appear like a "tourist." What I have realized is that very few things can make you appear more like a tourist than asking for directions. Many people are often afraid to ask for directions or to visit new locales because they do not like feeling out of their element or getting lost.



The best way to experience a new location, in my opinion, is to take a city tour given by someone who is native to the location. Going with a tour group is a great way to see the sites, experience the best a location has to offer, and make new friends along the way.



There are many great benefits that come along with traveling in a professional tour group. Even if you are shy or find the whole idea overwhelming, a tour group can really benefit you and ensure you that you see the best that the location has to offer and you don’t waste valuable time getting lost. Here are a few additional reasons to seek out tours while on vacation.


Eliminate Stress



Traveling can be a great adventure but it can also be stressful, particularly if you are traveling to a foreign country where you do not speak the language. Traveling with a tour group eliminates all this stress. Everything is planned for you and all you need to do is show up. Most tour groups take all the guesswork out of traveling by telling you exactly what you need. Many will even advise you of what to bring and how to dress to ensure you are comfortable. Tour groups also plan the logistics of getting around which can be helpful when you are in an unfamiliar city. Things like public transportation and directions can be hard to figure out. If you go with a tour group, you can spend your time enjoying the sites and not worrying about how to get places.


Get to Know the Spots



Traveling with a tour group also allows you to get closer to the location and see places and meet people that you wouldn't have otherwise met if you had been traveling alone. Very often, the tour guide is a local with knows a lot about the region. He can teach you things and show you places that a guide book would never be able do. Since he or she usually knows the area, they will usually take you to the best restaurants and shops. Best of all, they are usually able to answer whatever questions you may have that you think of while exploring the city.


Tour are safe



There also other reasons that may make a guided tour more beneficial than traveling by yourself. Depending upon where you are going, you may need to ensure your safety. Not all countries have the same level of stability and there are places in every city where it is not a good idea for a lone traveler to visit. Traveling with a tour guide group can ensure that you are safe. You will also be comfortable knowing that you don’t have to worry about getting lost or getting taking advantage off. Traveling can be one of the most beneficial things that a person does for himself. Get out there and join a group today.

Image Source Flickr

Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb