The Otherworldly Landscape of Bryce Canyon National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
April 29th 2013
Published: April 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hoodoos, hiking, and horses, Oh my! Bryce Canyon National Park is found in southwestern Utah and is considered to be a geologic wonder filled with slot canyons, spire formations, and memorable mazes. Below is more information on this national park's history, landscape, and things to do and see when visiting.

A Long History



Named after Mormon pioneer Ebenezer Bryce, the canyon became a national park in 1928. For at least 10,000 years Bryce Canyon has been home to many including the Paleo and Pueblo Indians. Although their stays were brief and used mostly for hunting, it was the Mormon pioneers who diverted water into the valley from the plateau top which made it possible for sustaining agriculture. In 1924, four years before the canyon became a national park, it was the Union Pacific Railroad along with the Civilian Conservation Corps that made the area accessible to travelers. Now, there are more than 1 million visitors who come to visit Bryce Canyon National Park, and there are several nearby Bryce Canyon Hotels to accommodate them.

A Landscape Like No Other



Carved out from the Paunsaugunt Plateau are a series of horseshoe-shaped amphitheaters where the elements have sculpted the limestone rock which has hues of every color of the rainbow. These well known spires, known as hoodoos, received their name due to early geologists who believed them to be magical and capable of casting spells. In addition to the unusual, dramatic rock formations, there are Ponderosa pines, firs, and meadows teeming with wildlife. Transcending 2000 feet in elevation, Bryce Canyon National Park is a natural playground ready to be explored by all ages.

Things to See and Do



From gazing at stars 1500 light years away to ranger guided horseback rides, there are plenty of activities to enjoy while visiting Bryce Canyon National Park. When arriving at the park the first thing to do is stop at the visitor's center and see exhibits, books, and pick up maps. Enjoying nature can be done by foot, horseback or pack mule. Ranger guided programs help visitors learn more about the canyon and its wonderful attributes that make it so appealing for exploring. For something fun and different, try a full moon hike or a winter trek in snowshoes. During the summer there are evening programs and daily activity programs for children as well.

Every year many bring their own telescopes to catch a glimpse at the vast night sky that stretches over Bryce Canyon National Park. There is also an astronomy team who volunteers their time and expertise to visitors interested in viewing amazing sites such as the Andromeda Galaxy and the enormous planet of Jupiter. In June be sure to attend the Annual Astronomy Festival where visitors can enjoy a keynote speaker. Past speakers have included astronauts like Dr. Story Musgrave. No matter why or when you visit, Bryce Canyon National Park is a must see when traveling through southwestern Utah.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb