Lincoln's legacy fights modern slavery


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
March 4th 2012
Published: March 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. According to this article, how is modern slavery different from earlier forms of slavery throughout history?

Modern slavery is different from earlier forms of slavery throughout history because it does not involve slaves working on plantations, but thousands and thousands of people forced to work unwillingly. The most serious crime after drugs is sex trafficking.

2. Why does this movement against human sex trafficking connect to the legacy of President Lincoln?

President Lincoln wrote the Emanicipation Proclamation to end slavery and the 13th Amendment changed the course of slavery in the US. Modern day human sex trafficking is a violation of human rights, and it is a form of modern day slavery.

3. Describe the Polaris project. What do you think about this project?

Polaris project started out in 2002 to help stop human sex trafficking through their hotline. I appreciate the project because it can eventually help out thousands of victims if it is more well-known and if people are more aware of the issue.

4. Do you agree with this article – that human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery?

YES! Human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery because it violates the basic human rights. Victims in these cases are forced to work unwillingly as sex workers.

5. In your opinion, can you think of any other examples of modern day slavery?

Another example of modern day slavery is child labor happening at around the world.

6. Additional thoughts/questions?

I think human sex trafficking is not only a major problem in the US but also on a global scale. Popular tourist destinations are examples of sites of human sex trafficking; for example, human sex trafficking was an important issue during the FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Human sex trafficking is happening everywhere especially in Africa and Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Cambodia) Even children are not left out of the problem, human sex trafficking is a huge international problem.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb