RIHLA #21


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
March 3rd 2012
Published: March 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lincoln’s Legacy Fights Modern Slavery

1.) Modern slavery is not much different from earlier forms of slavery throughout history. Modern day slavery is also including trafficking and being mentally and emotionally abused in that sort of way. Earlier forms of slavery, slaves would clean house, do dishes, farm, etc. Chores that would usually be done around the house. Slaves were mistreated back then by having dirty clothes, deprevation of sleep and food, and were sometimes beaten by their masters. In modern day slavery, there are still people on farms, in homes, in factories, and in the commercial sex trade at a lot places throughout the United States.

2.) This movement against human sex trafficking connects to the legacy of President Lincoln because Lincoln passed the 13th Ammendment, which made slavery illegal in the United States. Since there is still slavery going on today, especially through trafficking, there is proof that slavery is still alive in America, 150 years later after it was supposedly abolished.

3.) The Polaris project is an anti-trafficking organization. It works directly with victims and hosts tip, crisis hotlines, and offers solutions to those victimized by human trafficking. I think the project is an awesome and effective source for victims of human trafficking to go to. I think it will open them up more mentally and emotionally. I think it is good for them to be around others that have gone through the same thing, so that they can open up to one another and know that they are not alone. It can also be a huge sense of hope and realization that everything will be okay.

4.) I do agree with the article. I think human trafficking is a form of modern day slavery. There are young women "selling" their bodies to earn money not for themselves, but for their leader/master that owns them. In earlier years, slaves did things on the farm and in the house for the master. This is the same concept. Young women are selling their bodies against their will to earn money for their masters.

5.) An example of another type of modern day slavery are people that work at dry cleaners. It is true that the person picks that particular job, so you shouldn't feel bad for them, but that doesn't justify that there is not human labor going on. There are sowing machines that do the work, but there is still a woman or man that is working the machine. There could be tons of thousands of clothing items to clean and sow each week that they have to do by hand. Manual labor=slavery.

6.) I think human trafficking is horrible. Nobody should be forced to do anything against their will for somebody else. The United States of America is known for its freedom. When you hear things that still go on that prevents others to pick and choose their actions freely, its a bad reputation for the US and causes loss of hope in Americans that are victimized.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb