Further along the road . . .


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 17th 2011
Published: September 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi, all --
We're in Fundy National Park of Canada right now, but I want to catch you up with last week's travels and send the Bay of Fundy photos after we experience low tide tomorrow morning. Then I can show you some "high tide" and "low tide" photos of the same places, particularly the Hopewell rocks (the flowerpots) on the beach further up the coast. That's the best way to appreciate these 30' plus tides.
To backtrack, after we left Ohio we went across PA's Route 6 which crosses the northern part of PA and is billed as a scenic route with old diners and such. Here are photos of the Wellsboro, PA diner, established in 1939, where we ate lunch one day. Then we rode the old Oil Well Railroad in Titusville, the town that developed the first commercially successful oil well in the world.
From the internet: "The most important oil well ever drilled was in the middle of quiet farm country in northwestern Pennsylvania in 1859. For this was one of the first successful oil wells that was drilled for the sole purpose of finding oil. Known as the Drake Well, after "Colonel" Edwin Drake, the man responsible for the well, it began an international search for petroleum, and in many ways eventually changed the way we live."
Then on to PA's "Grand Canyon." It was misty, but hopefully the one photo gives you a feel for the gorge.
Beyond that we saw a lot of flood damage, particularly in Vermont -- cornfield after cornfield flattened and dead and people's belongings outside their houses, all piled up to be dumped. It was sad. Many of the roads we travelled had mud up to three feet high on the trees along the route. Luckily for us, all the flooding took place many days before we drove through and only one road was out.
We then drove to the top of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire, a site with the reputation of having the worst weather in the world. In keeping with its reputation, it was so foggy when we got to the snack shop at the top that we had trouble finding the path back to our car.
We crossed into Canada yesterday and today we had sunshine, the first in many, many days. We're also staying in a campground with electricity, water, and WiFi -- bliss. And today's lunch consisted of lobster tacos and fiddleheads. We didn't know what fiddleheads were -- and we found them quite wonderful. Life is good.
Best, Paula & Bob




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

RED-CHURCHRED-CHURCH
RED-CHURCH

Just a pretty church near the Grand Canyon of PA.
GOLDEN RODGOLDEN ROD
GOLDEN ROD

Golden rod was everywhere, fields and fields of blazing yellow.
FERRY-LANDINGFERRY-LANDING
FERRY-LANDING

Note sign. There must be a story here . . .
GULL-OVER-FERRYGULL-OVER-FERRY
GULL-OVER-FERRY

This gull flew over our ferry and I got to use my new VR telephoto lens to capture it.
WORLD'S WORST WEATHERWORLD'S WORST WEATHER
WORLD'S WORST WEATHER

47 below zero. That's really cold!
HIGHEST-WINDS-SIGN-AT-MT-WAHIGHEST-WINDS-SIGN-AT-MT-WA
HIGHEST-WINDS-SIGN-AT-MT-WA

Winds of 231 miles per hour. Goodness!
CHAINED-BUILDINGCHAINED-BUILDING
CHAINED-BUILDING

Note chains holding building down.
VIEW-FROM-UPPER-MT-WASHINGTVIEW-FROM-UPPER-MT-WASHINGT
VIEW-FROM-UPPER-MT-WASHINGT

Under the cloud at the top.


Tot: 0.274s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb