BareFootin' Around


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 27th 2009
Published: August 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Gigantic MooseThe Gigantic MooseThe Gigantic Moose

This was one of the larger Moose that we have seen in the area. She walked right by us and then entered the water and swam to the shore on the other side of the river.
"Barefooting" is a verb. It means having a good time on the road. But it's also a state of mind, when your journey becomes more important than your destination. You know you're bearfootin' when you find yourself holding a fishing pole and can't remember what day of the week it is! We have been there many times on this trip.

The Kenaitze Indians fished the Kenai and Russian Rivers. Not surprisingly, they had a large fishing camp where the Russian River Ferry now operates. They caught their fish with dipnets, weirs, and traps. The residents of Alaska are allowed to dipnet fish here in the Kenai as subsistence to get them through the long winter months. Non Residents must fish with a pole and lures or bait, depending on where on the river you happen to be fishing.

Yesterday we went fishing for salmon at the confluence of the Russian River and the Kenai River with our friend Diane. We wanted her to catch a big salmon. She has been fishing twice with us and hasn't caught anything yet. She was also disappointed that she had not seen a live moose or bear since she has been here.
 There She Goes There She Goes There She Goes

When she entered the water we were not sure what she would do. After she got out of the water on the other side of the river, a large black bear started grazing on the shore.

Standing there fishing the currents in the Kenai River, we looked up and passing right by her was a gigantic live female moose wading the stream. We were all awe struck! The moose passed close by us , then waded out into the river and swam across the current as though it was not even there.

Then, just as the moose was going aground on the opposite side of the river, a large black bear started grazing on the grass near the shore. The day was not a total loss even though we did not catch a fish. It is always fun to fish with a friend and watch for the wildlife!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb