Custer, SD To Illinois!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 7th 2009
Published: July 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wall Drug SignWall Drug SignWall Drug Sign

We first started seeing Wall Drug signs in Wyoming!
Custer, SD to Illinois!!!:

Sorry this is coming two weeks late. We've been having fun here in Illinois, keeping very busy.

Enjoy our last entry for the road trip!

We started our day by pulling up to the infamous Wall Drug Store - which is actually more like a giant strip mall of shops along the main drag in Wall, SD. Since we wanted to make good time, we only stayed for breakfast and didn't stick around for all the touristy mumbo-jumbo. Although the coffee was, indeed, only 5ยข as advertised, it tasted pretty burnt and metallic as if they had somehow melted down the nickels you paid for it to make the coffee itself. The rest of the food prices were rather inflated, but you did get huge portions though, and it all tasted very good. After that, we made a quick drive through the Badlands National Park, which were very beautiful, did a drive by past the Corn Palace, but after that, I can sum up the drive from SD to Illinois in one word: BORING. The weather, however, kept the drive pretty interesting despite the lack of things to see. As we drove into Minnesota we hit some pretty bad thunderstorms. At one point the rain was so heavy we couldn't see 10 feet past our car. We were listening to the radio and they were reporting several tornado sightings in the area. When we reached our destination in Albert Lea, Minnesota we thought we were past the storms. We had dinner and Lelah and Melissa went for a swim, but 20 minutes later a man came into the pool room and told Melissa they should probably take cover since a tornado warning was in effect specifically for our area. Upon returning to our room, the TV news was reporting a bad storm cell and we were right in the middle of it. We were a little concerned and decided to take the family down stairs. After a few minutes we noticed that we were the only ones down there and decided to head back to our room and get ready for bed. Apparently the storms weren't as bad as the news was making them out to be.

We slept well and woke up to steamy 85 degree weather (ah, good 'ole mid-west summers!). We packed the car and got on the road to
Wall DrugWall DrugWall Drug

This is where we had breakfast.
head to Illinois. We made good time and arrived at my parents house around 3:30pm.

Much love,
The Moellers


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

5 Cent Coffee5 Cent Coffee
5 Cent Coffee

You had to try it....and then you felt sorry you did...
Bad LandsBad Lands
Bad Lands

This was the most amazing drive. So cool!
The Bad Land GoatsThe Bad Land Goats
The Bad Land Goats

The white spec is a goat. These goats can climb rocks!
Corn Palace, Mitchell SDCorn Palace, Mitchell SD
Corn Palace, Mitchell SD

We didn't even get out of the car.
JellyJelly
Jelly

She did really well on the drive.


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb