Custer, SD - Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Jewel Cave and more....


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Roost ResortThe Roost ResortThe Roost Resort

This was a great place!
Custer, SD:

We passed through the beautiful Big Horn Mountains and stopped off to see some neat waterfalls along the way. We took a southeasterly route after that and could just barely make out Devil's Tower on the horizon to our northwest as we entered the Black Hills area of South Dakota (see pics on last blog). We pulled into Custer around dinner time, found our little cabin at The Roost Resort, went and had a great dinner at Elk Canyon Grill and called it a night. Jon ate a buffalo burger and it was a little dry. We needed our rest because the next morning we were heading out to Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, Jewel Cave, and Custer State Park for dinner.

Mt. Rushmore was really awesome, but smaller than I thought it was going to be. I think Lelah's favorite part was the ice cream we got on our way out.

Jewel Cave was also great. It's the second largest cave in the world after Mammoth cave in Kentucky. Lelah was surprisingly well-behaved in the cave and was proud to walk up-and-down the many winding steps in the dark.

Custer State Park is full of wild life. They have a whole herd of buffalo, which we didn't see, but did manage to come across one guy eating grass on the side of the road. We also saw a bunch of deer hanging out as well. We proceeded to the Blue Bell Lodge for a yummy Father's day dinner of Buffalo Meat Loaf and Ribs and then for pie at the Purple Place in town. It was a fun and full day.

Peace out,
Jon, Melissa and Lelah


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Mt. RushmoreMt. Rushmore
Mt. Rushmore

The first view of Mt. Rushmore, from the car
George from the caveGeorge from the cave
George from the cave

This was a cool view
Melissa's workoutMelissa's workout
Melissa's workout

We climbed a ton of stairs with Lelah on our backs.
Devil's towerDevil's tower
Devil's tower

No, we didn't go there. Jon took a picture from the cover of a book.
Lelah's favorite partLelah's favorite part
Lelah's favorite part

Who wants ice cream?
Jewel caveJewel cave
Jewel cave

This was a really cool!
Pitch black picturePitch black picture
Pitch black picture

They turned out the lights in the cave and it was DARK. Jon decided to put on his crazy face.
Lelah and our cave guideLelah and our cave guide
Lelah and our cave guide

Our guide was great! She was so funny and knew her cave lingo.


5th July 2009

Mt. Rushmore pics look great!
Mt. Rushmore pics look great! It looks like you are having the time of your life, and Lelah is too. I love and appreciate all of hte naps on shoulders. :)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 38; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb