Northwest Adventure Day 16


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 1st 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NW Adventure Day 16

Detoured south to pick up a visit to Jerome, Idaho!

Leaving our hotelLeaving our hotelLeaving our hotel

Best Western Northern Lodge, outskirts of Boise, Idaho

What a difference a day makes!


Jerry was breathing better this morning so he took to the map and suggested a new route to investigate an area off the expressway on our way to Jerome, Idaho. It was a great ride. Gone were the blind turns, 25 mph speeds, and endless climbs and descents. These were rolling hills (or mountains) with a more normal road that had a yellow center line and other very clear markings. It was like our Wisconsin treks of yester-year where we took this county road, than that one, and oh, let's turn here. We could see shadows of mountains off in the distance on both sides but for today, it seemed our travels would be fast and easy.

The further we traveled, the more arid and flat it became. Between driving the expressway for parts (75mph) and driving the side roads (65mph), it felt like we were in a different world. Mile after mile of open range. It was low to mid 80's and the sun was hot. In some areas, even the cattle pushed each other around as they tried to maneuver themselves into the little shade of too few trees.

Jerry
Back on the roadBack on the roadBack on the road

Jerry's choice - much better than yesterday's Hells Canyon roads
found a Mexican music station and we laughed hysterically as we drove down the straight road, imagining we took a wrong turn and we were actually lost in the Mexican desert. He did a camera video that's too large to post but we'll hold on to for folks to see when we're home. Ahh, the little joys of being on the road!

Jerome, Idaho


We arrived in Jerome, Idaho. It was larger than we expected. There was a Jerome lumber yard, a Jerome Pharmacy, Grocery, and there was a huge dairy sale going on at the open market as we drove through. We were drawn to a large county park area with a few memorials which we visited. It was obvious Jerome respected the service of its county residents and especially, to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. Since we had made a Dairy Queen stop in a previous little town, we decided not to stop for lunch in Jerome. It was a great visit including getting the picture of Jerry next to the sign of Jerome, Idaho but there was more we wanted to see today. As we drove away, we both agreed that this city of
Rolling hillsRolling hillsRolling hills

Definite change in terrain
Jerome seemed like a nice enough place but we wouldn't want to live here. Oh well.

Finally....Idaho Potatoes


We finally saw potatoe patches so we are more confident that Idaho potatoes actually do come from Idaho (seeing is believing!) We had expected fields upon fields of them but only saw a few. So, we trust the larger fields are somewhere else in Idaho.

Crater of the Moon National Monument and Preserve


This was a truly fascinating side trip that we were glad we had built into our plan for the day. Miles and miles of lava rock - some spewn about that gave the impression of a dump or a construction plan never finished. Other parts like a well kept garden, planted and cared for by a caring groundskeeper. We were amazed with the flowers, bushes, and trees that grew in older areas of the lava rocks. We figured nothing lived here and thus, were pleasantly surprised of a rather large variety of animals that called these lava rock beds home. We didn't see any of them of course (except the insects) but knowing they were there somewhere was interesting info.

We were going to take Jerry's scooter out for a stroll around one of the lava rock bed areas but it was 87 degrees and that sun was just bearing down on the black rock so hot, we decided a drive through the monument and preserve was the better choice. We were lucky there was sun as we went through because the rocks are so black, it would be difficult to see the many textures, formations, and intricacies of the area. We were amazed that they had campsites for people to stay over night. Seems like it would be a pretty eery place to stay overnight.

We saw lava rock for miles and miles after we left the monument and preserve. It is actually a huge preserve. Then, slowly, we'd see the arid, desert like conditions return with just periodic lava spatters. It was worth the drive!

Idaho Falls, Idaho


We decide to park it at Idaho Falls, a larger city compared to all of the small towns we've been through today. We enjoy a wonderful steak dinner on the restaurant's outside patio with a river running right in front of us. As the dark of evening crept in, they lit a long fire pit to add warmth to the night chill and some great ambiance. A perfect close to the day.

We are still a few hours behind on our plan from the beginning of the week. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem given our free-spirited travels. But alas, snow is now in forecasts for late weekend/early next week in both the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. We'll need to get some giddy-up in our travel today so we can get through there before the snow. We will tread cautiously - traveling through the mountains in light snow may have been fun in earlier years but given today's circumstances, we are committed not to travel the mountains in snow. We'll see what tomorrow brings. We both want to see the Vice-Presidential debate tomorrow night also. More we want to do than time.

We'll see how tomorrow goes. Nothing could spoil this trip, even if we don't get as much time in Grand Teton or Yellowstone. We have so much good fortune thus far, especially with weather, thanks to the prayers and positive thinking of so many family and friends. We'll see how it goes and take it as it
Flat and then...Flat and then...Flat and then...

...bump in the view
comes!



Additional photos below
Photos: 77, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Houses built in the middle of nowhereHouses built in the middle of nowhere
Houses built in the middle of nowhere

Some were more like mansions
The long and winding road!!The long and winding road!!
The long and winding road!!

Isn't there a song like that?
Road straightensRoad straightens
Road straightens

But all of these little ups and downs


2nd October 2008

Wish List
Here's our wish list for your vacation - 1) Find a town named Kelly, take a picture and send it to her. Randy would do if you can't find Kelly. 2) Picture of Jerry in the Sugar Daddy shorts at Yellowstone - oops - what happens in Mexico didn't stay in Mexico 3) Keep posting - we love readin' them. Love, Vickie

Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb