Northwest Adventure Day 17


Advertisement
Published: October 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NW Adventure Day 17


Leaving Idaho Falls Leaving Idaho Falls Leaving Idaho Falls

Did we take a wrong turn back toward North Dakota?

Leaving Idaho Falls, Idaho


We asked the hotel staff as we left this morning if they had any insights for touring Grand Tetons or Yellowstone National Parks. One had just been there the weekend before and excitedly gave us the places we should be sure to see. In addition, she questioned how we were getting there. She recommended we reroute to a different highway in order to see the Tetons from the back, not just the more popular front side. We note that it really wouldn’t take us any longer and she confirms it is a much more scenic route. We decide to take her recommended route, make notes of her other recommendations and then got on our way.

We noted a couple of huge Mormon Tabernacles on our way out of town and felt it would be interesting to tour one someday. They stood out from anything else around them. The insides must be extraordinary.

Grand Tetons


Charlie, Rita’s brother, had told us before we left that the Grand Tetons was his absolute favorite. That, combined with others comments, we excitedly turned toward the Grand Tetons that neither of us had ever seen. The staff person
Mormon TempleMormon TempleMormon Temple

Like others, stood well over and above anything else around
at Best Western did not steer us wrong. Once we got past the rather long, flat, and Idaho potato filled fields, we caught the shadows of the Grand Tetons. We went through a number of small, charming western towns and eventually came to a perfect visual of the Grand Tetons. The trees in the area were at full fall peak colors which just accentuated the mountains rising behind them. Though pictures will give an impression of what we were seeing, they do not do justice to the bright, bright yellows, oranges, and reds that eventually permeated every direction we looked.

We can think of no words to describe the majesty of the Grand Tetons. There is a reason they are called "Grand." One of the first things we see and learn as we formally enter the Grand Teton National Park is that there is an Elk Refuge that spans both the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. National and state agencies work to protect the herds totaling in the thousands; some summering in the Grand Tetons, many in Yellowstone. At some point before winter and in groups of 200 or more, they travel to this refuge to avoid the heavy snows at the higher altitudes. They come from as far as southern Yellowstone and national or state forests. They are not confined. Ther fencing we see near the roads exists only to protect them from traffic. We stand and stare out at the massive plains area here at the refuge, wondering what it would be like to see literally thousands of elk roaming around. It must be awesome.

Arriving to the close-up views of the Grand Tetons, we are awe-struck. We had chanced shorts but quickly realized jeans may have been the better choice as it was quite cool in the cloudy, breezy upper altitudes. Driving into Jackson, one can only hope the gears will hold because the descent and ascents are so steep, there are signs to stay in lowest gear, pull-outs specifically to put on chains or remove them. and the infamous pull-outs intended to stop any out-of-control trucks. We are unclear how these would stop a careening truck and agree it is something we would never want to witness first hand.

We fulfill our goal of not stopping in any one place for any length of time. Yet, we stop a lot, admiring the same peaks at a variety of views. We take the inside one-way road to see Jenny Lake and the snow capped peaks reflected in the waters. Later, we take a Ranger's suggestion and drive up the Signal Mountain Road. It was back to a road barely wide enough for a car coming in both directions. Jerry checked the instant economy as we were ascending - going 7,593 feet up within 4.3 miles, we were getting all of 7-9 miles/gallon. That is simply to give readers some sense of the climb. The beauty is simply indescribable. There is silence inside the car and when exiting the car to take in the views along the way, the silence of the mountains is deafening. We are filled with wonder and proceed through to the top, amazed at every turn.

At the top, we see the valley of the Tetons. Green fields with the bluest of waters were interspersed throughout and autumn color draped the lower mountainsides while evergreens touched the middle until the stark rock and snow covered peaks kept virtually anything from growing that high. Our eyes return to the valley where the Snake River turns and twists its way through the valley, more obvious in some areas than others. The walkway is not long enough to take time for the scooter. Jerry walks a little ways and is able to grasp some of the view but it is obvious, we are high enough to warrant caution in walking any distance at all. Rita shows Jerry pictures of what he can't walk out to see which is easy for him to envision since he can connect the dots of what he can see with the pictures showing what he cannot. Ironically, as we start the drive back down, we find a break in the trees that allows Jerry to see the whole view himself. We are certain the car coming up behind was not too impressed with our unsanctioned stop in the road but alas, sometimes you just have to take advantage in extenuating circumstances such as this. We turn off as quickly as possible to let the speedy gonzalez go by. We wave to and take the picture of some picknickers just below the top and decide we need to learn from their preparedness. Complete with table, tablecloth, food, and drink, they were obviously taking a prepared break in full appreciation of the Teton Valley in front of them. They were tailgating to an unending view that was constantly changing with the shadows of the sun. As we traverse the tricky road, descending quicker than the ride up, there is a peace that washes over us as we go from the alpine flowers and pine trees, through the autumn colors and back to the main parkway.

We find the Chapel of the Sacred Heart nestled in the woods, surrounded by the Tetons. We are disappointed it is locked, evidently open strictly for the Mass schedule. We understand, knowing the destruction that can occur if it was left open all the time - sad but true. We are amused by the one sign on the door "Thank you for wiping your feet."

We are drawn to the Jackson Lake Dam. We view the dam from different locations and eventually, take pictures of the sun that is now headed toward the mountain peaks. A flock of birds band together, playing on the lake. As we get over the inspirational view, we rather suddenly snap to the realization that the sun is getting TOO close to the mountain tops, signaling more of a sunset versus afternoon sun. So, we take a quick look at the map to realize just how far we have yet to go for our scheduled stop for the night.

We make no further viewpoint stops but have one area of construction to get through. Our hope was that there'd be no traffice. There was enough to cause a short delay. We are certain there was much more of a delay earlier. We are amused that in addition to the folks we normally see, holding the stop/slow signs, they actually have a car that leads each group through the construction area. The people in the car in front of us didn't get it at first. It took the guy with the stop sign to tell them to follow the car, even though the car was clearly signed as "Pilot Car, Follow Me." By the time we got through, it was already dusk.

Welcome to Yellowstone


We reach the south entrance to Yellowstone National Park soon after the construction area. The Ranger tells us there is lodging open at Old Faithful so we try to be hopeful it will meet our needs. Our need to find somewhere to honker down for the night does not take away from the beauty and we still snap pictures here and there, knowing we will likely not come through this particular part of Yellowstone again. We even catch a coyote on the side of the road, evidently looking hopeful at something that might serve as his next meal. We keep a light-hearted attitude as we see the river and creeks on the roadside and the leaves full of color even as dusk starts turning to night. It is becoming an eery ride as we note various geysers on either side of the road, the acrid steam moving creepily up over the ground.

We see Old Faithful in the distance. Rather, we see the chilling steam vapor of it turning and twisting in the almost night air as we look for the open lodging. We are not too optimistic as we drive in and see how filled the parking lot is. There are also many steps and a long walkway just to get to the reception area. We note there are many people walking around which would indicate you park and walk; not a good indication for being workable lodging for Mr.
Ominous in the cloudsOminous in the cloudsOminous in the clouds

Is that rain or snow?
B. Our thoughts are confirmed as Rita goes in to find they have but a couple rooms left and none of the lodging is really conducive given our special circumstances. She returns to Jerry in the car and delivers the bad news. We leave knowing the seriousness of our timing area. A lesson learned in the ventures of nomads - we must do better when traveling and siFght-seeing along a whole day's drive in underdeveloped areas, to be sure we can get to conducive lodging well before dark. Today, we live with our error and all four of our eyes become affixed to the road and the side of the road to try and pick up on animals that might be out wandering in the dark night.

Thirty-seven long miles later, we review having crossed the paths of elk, deer, and buffalo in the dark of night. There are others driving as carefully as we are so often, there was a line of cars as we patiently waited for animals to clear. In one case, we all drove slowly around a group of buffalo, one so close to the car that Jerry could have reached out and petted it. We barely made out that it was a buffalo as its dark color was like a shadow, a very LARGE shadow, slowly passing us on the road, closer than any car would have come from that opposite direction.

Whew! West Yellowstone Arrival


We finally arrive in West Yellowstone and whisper repeated thanks to God for keeping us safe. There are numerous lodgings to choose from in West Yellowstome. We settle on a place called Stage Coach Inn...how fitting. It is very western style and all the necessary things for Jerry to be comfortable. We lost our appetities long ago so we take some time to relax and unwind. Sleep comes easily tonight.




Additional photos below
Photos: 126, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Closer stillCloser still
Closer still

Our anticipation grows
Town of TetoniaTown of Tetonia
Town of Tetonia

How would you like to wake up to this view every morning?
Did you know?Did you know?
Did you know?

We didn't!
Convenience store stopConvenience store stop
Convenience store stop

Fenced area is a playground for the children
We saw the back of the TetonsWe saw the back of the Tetons
We saw the back of the Tetons

Now driving to the front
Bear?  Where?Bear?  Where?
Bear? Where?

Unfortunately or fortunately, had not seen any bear as yet
We were glad the lights weren't flashingWe were glad the lights weren't flashing
We were glad the lights weren't flashing

We had no clue what kind of road we were into where they would have lights flashing this far back if closed
Getting HigherGetting Higher
Getting Higher

Colors replaced by evergreens/pines


16th October 2008

In Awe
Rita...Jerry...Wow - these are just like looking at postcards! How truly beautiful. Glad you had so much fun! Love, Vickie & Bryan

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb