Camping Drills????


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 21st 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Final Inspection Final Inspection Final Inspection

Looks okay to me!
Have you ever watched “ Run Silent, Run Deep?” Clarke Gable is the submarine captain who makes them drill a quick dive over and over and over. Well, our mild-mannered dad decided that his little crew needed to do some drills for our camping trip. So we loaded up the tent/kitchen/clothes part of our gear, piled into the van and drilled. I am sure a fly on the wall would have had a great laugh as we sat in our driveway in the van with the trailer hooked on behind—all ten of us with our pillows. Suddenly at the honking of the horn (that was the dive bell) we poured out of the van and started to put up our tents. Boys did their tent, girls theirs and I did the Captain and First Mate’s. Well, I had a little help from a couple of the girls. They were first completed. However, the boys were providentially hindered. There wasn’t enough stakes for them. We did it the first time in 28 minutes.

Over lunch we took suggestions for improvements from everyone. Made a list of needed items (first on the list was STAKES) and then right after lunch our feisty
First of allFirst of allFirst of all

Load up the trailer...
captain called a ‘take-down-the-tents’ drill. We all piled into those hot tents and at the “dive, dive, dive” call we began to drill. We had them down, loaded in the trailer, tarps tied down and us all loaded into the van in 20 minutes. Impressive!!

After a short evaluation in the air-conditioned van, :~) an even shorter drive down the driveway we did it again complete with different spots on the driveway to simulate a different campground! 20 minutes!!! All right!!! Wow we were impressed with ourselves!

Most everyone was in the house with their favorite book or email program when First Mate remembered the dining fly. So our beloved Captain called a ‘set-up-the-dining-fly’ drill. The troops being the loyal soldiers that they are responded beautifully! Ten minutes without the stakes! It will probably take another ten to do the stakes—of course, we must first buy them……

Michael, like Cmdr. 'Rich' Richardson, now thinks his crew is ready for combat. Look out west -here we come!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Girls' TurnGirls' Turn
Girls' Turn

How do they do it so fast?
Boys' TurnBoys' Turn
Boys' Turn

When they have proper equipment.....
20 minutes20 minutes
20 minutes

Saith Anna, "That is impressive!"


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb