Day 4


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 26th 2018
Published: July 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The alarm was ringing already at 4:00. It took 45min to get us and the RV ready. Ivica had a pleasure to drive the monster into Death Valley.



We managed to arrive above Panamint Valley just before sunrise. This valley is within the Death Valley National Park and it is located to the west of the most scorching place on Earth.





After a couple of romantic moments...





...as well as some heavy contemplation about the meaning of life...





...we continued further.



Next stop: sand dunes.





As long as it is not forbidden!





After 3 days of living together, we tried to be as far away from each other as possible.




Luc took over the driving towards Zabriskie Point.





It is hard to grasp the weirdness and beautty of this place through photographs.





We went back to Furnace Creek, where in front of the Visitor center an official thermometer is telling you how hot it is. 113F = 44.4C!





The last stop: Badwater Basin, the lowest point on the continent, -86m. It just passed noon, the car thermometer was telling 47C, so on these fields of salt it must have been 50C. Not the highest ever but enough to impress even Elahi the Indian.





Margie was first to make a retreat back to RV, then some time later Ivica also decided that enough is enough. Additionally, the mobile phone became so hot that despite having 50C around, you could feel it burning the hand. This time the lithium battery did not burst into flames. Just in case, the phone ended up in the fridge for the next half an hour.



On the other hand, trio fantasticus thought 'Hm, why don't we walk a kilometer into the salt field and see if we come back?'.





While driving around we spotted a guy running! Topless! But with a hat! We were so flabbergasted that nobody took a picture of him. Apparently there is some kind of a super-marathon race on these salt fields. And it is scheduled for tomorrow. So he was training. Naturally.



Being the one bringing us into Death Valley, it was the right thing to do to let Ivica drive us out of it. Vegas, baby!!!



On the way there, a left-over from the shooting of the movie Mad Max was spotted in Nevada desert.





Before going to the city, first things first, a well-deserved meal.





Something is wrong with this plate!





Yeah, much better now.





Trio fantasticus in a much cooler environment, only 41C.





Our friend Virgile left San Francisco last Thursday but he managed to meet us again in Las Vegas.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb