Gimme Shelter in Sheridan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
August 23rd 2007
Published: August 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

The Adventure


Sheridan, WY and Story, WY have provided us a needed respite from the road and the hazards of a wet sleeping bag or another night at the New Bates Motel. First we found Doug Estes at the Sheridan Tent & Awning Co. who agreed to make a light-weight tarp to our specs with grommets and a flap for $35. We pick it up Friday morning to replace our leaking rain fly. Thank you, Doug! Second, we found the Story Pines Inn, a small family run place with cozy rooms, laundry, wi-fi and popcorn! It's great. There was even a little card in the room that said, "Welcome Susan and Jim." Thank you to Paula and Patrick Morgan! We have gotten some rest, good food and clean clothes and are ready to go back on the road. That's right--we're back on track with the PD.

Sheridan/Story is an inviting place. It's right next to the Bighorn Mountains (that rise to 13k feet), and Sheridan has a nice downtown area with shops and restaurants, and the area is green, unlike eastern Wyoming which is barren. Story is a small community with something for everyone from artists to hunters. John, I reckon you'll be living here come spring after you hook up with your Lakota Woman. Below are a variety of pics from our travels so far for your viewing pleasure. All is well and thanks for reading. I just saw that our blog has been viewed almost 400 times so far. I'm speechless! Thanks.

Here are some stats so far. 7 states: TN, KY, IL, IA, MN, SD, WY; camped 6 nights (1 backpack) and 5 motels (but we camped 6 of first 8); 2000 miles driven, 30 miles hiked.

One of those Roberts had the correct answer (probably Susan--she's is SO competitive). The pics were in the Badlands, SD. The first in our campground, the flowers near the Pine Ridge Reservation. We'll be sure to pick up a prize somewhere. I hope you like rocks. Congrats!
Moose

And no correct answers for the bonus question which is a trick question, I admit. What beverage do you get when you combine our favorite breakfast drink with left over wine? The correct answer would be "there is no left over wine," but I would also have accepted "Tangria." Better luck next time folks. Look for next weeks travel trivia question right here. Same blog. Same bloggers.
Squirrel


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



24th August 2007

Jealous
Really enjoying living vicariously through your travels....a couple of decades ago I wandered a similar path and the blog is bringing back lots of memories. can't wait until you get to Jackson Hole and see what you think. If you are car camping, at all in JH, (think you are backpacking tho) check out Gros Ventre campground...sort of splits the difference between Jenny Lake and the town of Jackson. Happy Trails!! Vanessa
24th August 2007

you are making us all want to move west
I, like Vanessa, am enjoying hearing about your travels. The fact you have jackets on is quite amusing for us here in hot knoxville. I guess you have heard we are experiencing 101 degree weater. Sounds like you are having a blast and for those of us who have to work, we enjoy knowing others can just play - wet tent and all.....
25th August 2007

Looks like you're having fun!
The pics are great - except for that scary Bates motel! Looks like some really beautiful scenery. Like Vanessa, I'm enjoying the vicarious road trip experience. Hope the new fly works great!

Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.13s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb