Yellowstone!


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Winch used at BB DamWinch used at BB DamWinch used at BB Dam

Buffalo Bill Dam, Cody, WY
Up not so early to see where we ended up last night. Big Bear Motel in Cody, WY – hey! There are mountains all around! Ate breakfast and started for Yellowstone an hour and half away. We missed the mustangs (bummer!) but ran across Buffalo Bill Dam so stopped to take a look. Pretty impressive – in 1910 when it was built, it was the largest dam in the land. Off to Yellowstone. We stop at the visitor’s center to get the stamps for the kid’s National Park Passport and realize that Freddy has left his at the dam – an hour away! ACH! Well, after much discussion about what to do, a very nice park lady was able to call and verify that the visitor’s center at the dam did, indeed, have it. Lucky he put his name in it! They are sending it to Audra for us to pick up when we see her.Better than backtracking to get it.



Yellowstone has so much to see! Again, we saw so much of it burned – 1989 had a fire that burned a third of the park! And a couple other big ones in 2003 and 2006. Very
Winch ExplanationWinch ExplanationWinch Explanation

Buffalo Bill Dam, Cody, WY
sad to see all that land devastated. Other parts were so very beautiful. Something to see everywhere. We did the eastern side of the lower loop. Bison everywhere – on the hills, on the side of the road, ON the road!!! Lots of great pictures. We also saw American White Pelicans, a beautiful buck elk, trumpeter swan and deer. We heard about a grizzly in the field but did not see it. We did see some amazing waterfalls and canyons! Stopped to see the Mud Volcanoes and Sulfur Caldron – Whew! The SMELL!! Kids loved that! We were lucky to find the last lodging available in the park so where able to take our time and see what we wanted without a drive at the end. The cabin we stayed in was VERY small – kids head to toe, but we were thankful for the experience of staying there. Again, the weather has been just unbelievable!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Wooden Ball PlugWooden Ball Plug
Wooden Ball Plug

Buffalo Bill Dam, Cody, WY
Wooden Ball Plug ExplanationWooden Ball Plug Explanation
Wooden Ball Plug Explanation

Buffalo Bill Dam, Cody, WY
Before the DamBefore the Dam
Before the Dam

Most of the maintenance is cleaning the trees out of the river in the spring and summer.
Buffalo Bill Dam, Cody, WYBuffalo Bill Dam, Cody, WY
Buffalo Bill Dam, Cody, WY

This dam was the highest in the world in 1910 when it was finished.
Yellowstone ParkYellowstone Park
Yellowstone Park

Some of the park has been damaged by forest fires! Sad to see it.


10th July 2012

Yellowstone....
Our most favorite place on earth!!

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb