Old Faithful, Grand Tetons and Elk Refuge


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Set alarm for 5:10 to get the sunrise over the lake, but was hazy this morning so went back to bed! Up at 7:30 to get over to see Old Faithful blow at 10. Very cool! We were surprised that the sulfur smell was not too noticeable. Old Faithful went off right on time! We went and ate breakfast/lunch at the visitor’s center, walked around and caught the next eruption at 11:30. Just as cool the second time! Now we are driving through the Grand Teton National Park. Kinda blowing through since still 6.5 hrs to Audra’s in Salt Lake City, but the views are amazing.We do have a dark cloud over the Tetons, but still neat.

OK, didn’t really “blow” through it – too many fantastic vistas to stop and see! Also, still collecting stamps for the passports. Stopped off at the Elk Refuge in Jackson, WY but found out the elk migrate to the hills and come down in the winter – they had 7500 this past winter. Guess we will have to come back! Drove through Jackson Hole and can see why this is such a desirable spot. Really fantastic views all around and fairly secluded but nice little town. We are heading out right now – 5:30, and have 4.5 hrs til we reach Salt Lake City. And it just started to rain in earnest. We really have been lucky with the weather! All of the rain has come when we are driving, not sight seeing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb