Kayaking the Snake with our National Bird


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.818, -110.706

Got up and decided to do an early morning drive and see if we could see the young grizzlies again but did not have any luck. We decided not to waste the day and go and float the Snake River from the Dam to Pacific Creek.

Because we only have our camper we were going to do the get the boat ready at the dam, secure it, drive to Pacific Creek, put the bikes together, bike back to the dam and set off runs. We got the boat set up and loaded and made sure we had the scope in the boat before we set off and then went to take the truck to Pacific Creek. It was still early enough we did not have any problems finding a parking space.

The ride back to the dam was lovely and fortunately we did not have any of the large dirt haulers pass us as we rode along. Robert stopped and talked to the "bear watchers" while waiting for me to catch up.

The water was still moving at a fairly rapid pace so did some floating until we got to the Oxbow. It was a beautiful day so there were a lot of people setting off at the same time we were.
It was a nice day but as we did the Oxbow we did not get to see any moose this time. The wind picked up while we were in the Oxbow and as we turned to head back out on the main part of the river, we used the sail to good advantage.

We were happy to join the company of four bald eagles while we were floating as well as several osprey. One of them did a hovering display for us before diving into the river. The pelicans were out gliding above us along the way as well as the scolding of the kingfishers as they flew across our path.

Got to see a waterfowl we had not seen as an immature: an immature bufflehead. Doesn't look like the adult we were used to seeing.

Because the water was moving fairly well, wind pulling along with our sail, this was not a long day for us. We got to shore and while I was taking the accessories off the boat and Robert was getting the truck the enforcement ranger arrived on the scene. Went down to where people were getting in or out of the water and was checking permit. There were two kayaks that had been left at the shore that did not have permits and they were being ticketed. Oh no, too bad.

Had dinner and then walked over to Deadman's Bar and had a drink before calling it an evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.031s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb