What a way to spend July the 4th !


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
July 4th 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 43.6558, -110.718

Boat is put together so we need to get on the water and early because we will be kayaking across Jenny Lake and then hiking up to Inspiration Point. We were out on the lake by 8:30 but were not the first ones out. A canoe was landing as we were getting ready to take off. The couple in the canoe were older than us and the man (78) turned the canoe over and with his wife's help steadying it, put it on his shoulders and off he went! Inspiration to us all!

The footpath around the lake to Inspiration Point has been changed and there were some confused people at the start of the trail near where we were launching. The boat shuttle was operating and in full swing as we took off. Fortunately its path across the lake was far enough away from us we were not rocked until right at the end of the journey.

Got to the other shore around 9:15 and found a place to store the boat. Glad we took our time checking things out because some of the shuttle drivers came in at full speed before cutting engine and their wake crashed up but did not get in our boat.

Got on the hiking shoes and set off after marking where we needed to get off the trail and head down to the boat. It was a beautiful day and so each one of the boats that landed at the other side was full of people.

We walked along enjoying the sound of the water, watching people and just enjoying in general. We were in much better shape than we had been last year when we did this same hike. We got to Inspiration Point and decided to carry on into Cascade Canyon as far as we felt we could.
Continued walking and glad we did. The trail levels out most of the way we were going so it was not as difficult as expected. Kept asking people coming back down the trail if they had seen any wildlife. We kept getting reports of moose up ahead so get on going. FINALLY, the moose appeared across the cascade. We stopped and ate lunch and enjoyed the moose as we did so. Some people coming down the trail while we were eating lunch said there was a bear somewhere up ahead. Decided we didn't need to see that.

There also were dark clouds beginning to appear and we still had to kayak back across the water so headed back down. Before we got back down to Inspiration Point, we saw a sign indicating another way to get to the boat dock other than via Inspiration Point and so we decided to see what it was all about.

If you have seen Hidden Falls, don't care about them, or just want a more isolated path, this is the one. Besides ourselves, there were three other people coming down and only seven people coming up the trail compared to the more popular HiddenFalls/Inspiration Point trail. To access this trail, you go right past the boat dock and it indicates Cascade Canyon. I must say that it is a more dense with vegetation and at times we would call out," Hey bear", just in case any of them were listening.

Got down to the boat, off with the shoes and a short rest and then into the boat and across to the other side. By the time we were underway, the wind picked up. Unfurled the sail and took full advantage and the wind to our backs and zipped across the water. I was holding the sail and it was really moving on.

By the time we got to shore, the white caps were evident and even so some people were setting off to paddle. Not my cup of tea, thank you. Loaded up the boat and headed to Climber's Ranch for a shower.

Went to Dornan's for dinner and a few groceries. Had to crawl under the boat to get the ice put away but hey what excitement! Dinner was nice and the view of the Tetons beautiful as well. Got back to our campsite and were rewarded by a mother deer with a very young fawn, spots and all crossing into our campsite. Very nice.

What wasn't nice was someone had removed our campsite tag, left some of their things on the picnic table. Went and found campground host and fortunately we had paid by check and he could confirm we had paid, found no record of other person paying and said it was our site, took their things and told us if they came back tell them to come to his station until 10pm or go to the Lodge later than that. Fortunately for us we never saw the other people.



Additional photos below
Photos: 129, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

What a way to spend July the 4th !What a way to spend July the 4th !
What a way to spend July the 4th !

moving off into the woods


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb