A Snowmobile Visit to Swiss Dairy Country


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Monroe
January 2nd 2013
Published: January 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It's been a very slow beginning to the snow season here in the upper Midwest. There have been a couple pretty good snow storms, but they have tracked much further south than the northwoods of Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where I usually ride.

Southern and central Wisconsin have a large array of well maintained snowmobile trails similar to the northern trails. As a matter of fact, Wisconsin has over 25,000 miles of snowmobile trails, the most of any state in snow country. I rode in Green, LaFayette and Dane counties last week with my friend, Pat. It was good enough that I was more than willing to come back this week with Jan. We're staying at the Americinn in Monroe, just north of the Illinois-Wisconsin state line, north of Freeport, IL.

The area is famous as a dairy farming area and the cheese producing capitol of the U.S. It's population is predominanly of Swiss origin. Monroe is a quaint, small town that we used to visit when our family was young. A buddy of mine from college who grew up in Freeport, IL, married a sweet Swiss farm girl from Monroe and we used to visit
The Sugar River TrailThe Sugar River TrailThe Sugar River Trail

New Glarus, WI
their family with our kids often.

We planned a short ride north to New Glarus to check out a very old tavern there. New Glarus is named after the Canton in Switzerland, Glarus. Evidently, the people of Glarus decided to send some of their people to the new world to check out a place for them to settle. As the story goes, when they crested a local hill and saw this valley, it reminded them of their homeland and they settled here.

I love old taverns and had heard about one in New Glarus, named Puempel's. It was founded by the Puempel family in 1893 and they owned and ran it for over 100 years. it seems alot of old taverns in this area have murals painted on the walls. Puempel's has 4 of them.

Another of my favorites is Baumgartner's in Monroe, founded in 1931. We went there for a supper of soup and cheese sandwiches...the best cheese sandwiches around.

The next day, we rode a loop from Monroe east to Brodhead, then north to Albany, New Glarus and the back south to Monroe. The riding and trails were very good. If the snow holds up, I'll definitely come back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Andreas HoferAndreas Hofer
Andreas Hofer

The William Tell of Austria about to be executed by Napoleon's Troops
Clock With No HandsClock With No Hands
Clock With No Hands

Loose translation: For the happy man, the clock never strikes.
Baumgartner's MuralBaumgartner's Mural
Baumgartner's Mural

"When wine and beer do battle, who will win and who will lose?"
Suisse HausSuisse Haus
Suisse Haus

Old Tavern. Once was City Hotel dating back to late 19th century.


4th January 2013

Nice story
Like the old commercial for some cereal 'Mikey Likes It'
4th January 2013

Nice Story
Thanks, Mike. I'll be getting in touch with you soon.
4th January 2013
Welcome

I'm ready!!
Wow! I was indeed ready for on the many "local brews"!
4th January 2013
Welcome

I'm Ready
And the Mushroom Brie Bisque!
4th January 2013
Jan With Decorative Cow

Cheese anyone?
To make our trip complete we brought home a variety of cheese and sausages - now if Bob would just stay home long enough to help me eat them!!
4th January 2013

A Great trip - cheese and all!
This trip was so much fun! Brought back many good memories of the many years we visited our friends, Jeff & Diane Culp in Monroe! The riding was good and I was even allowed to take advantage of shopping in the cute towns of Monroe and New Glarus - always looking for the unusual and "after Christmas sales". Thanks Bob, for one more of your wonderful get-a-way trips!
5th January 2013

Good ole Green Co. Wi.
Looks like a good time!!
6th January 2013

Good Ole Green County WI
Thanks for the comment, Jeff. It sure brought back a lot of the good time memories. We hit Basumgartner's, then went to Suisse Haus for a couple and finished at a bar named Bartel's on the square. Didn't get back to the hotel till 1:00 AM.
10th January 2013
Carriage and Wagon Maker-1869

Like a toy building
This looks like one of those toy buildings my grand kids used to play with! Interesting shots of an "old town"
10th January 2013
Carriage and Wagon Maker-1869

Like a Toy Building
Thank you.
10th January 2013

Wisconsin snowmobile trip, 2012/13
Looks like a fun trip !! I miss the snow. Surprisingly enough, I have enjoyed a beverage at Baumgartner's. Have also been to the New Glarus Brewery for a shirt + hat + mug purchase ! Jan looks right at home in front of the tavern !!
11th January 2013

Not you!
Buying stuff at the New Glarus Brewery? Good thing you did. you seem to be getting low on hats, etc.!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb