Fun at the "Top of Wisconsin"


Advertisement
Published: March 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Near Conover, WINear Conover, WINear Conover, WI

Michael enjoying the riding.
Contributing Photographer: Michael Weinstein



A couple years ago, I made a snowmobile tour of the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. While on that trip, I met a fellow snowmobiler who happened to be from Brooklyn, NY, Michael Weinstein. We hit it off on that trip and have stayed in touch. Back around October, we discussed riding together again and we came up with the idea that he would come to Chicago and go riding the northwoods of Wisconsin and the Western U.P.

Michael and I arrived at The Gateway Lodge, http://www.gateway-lodge.com/on Sunday a about 3:00 PM. It's a great old lodge that was built in the 1930's. In it's heyday, it had a ski jump, bowling alley, golf course and trap shooting. It still has the 9 hole golf course and trap shooting. I've been staying here for years. It's a great location because it is right on the Wisconsin/Michigan U.P. border offering access to both states' trails. It is also on the southern end of the lake effect snowbelt off of Lake Superior, so it gets more snow than even 18 miles south, Eagle River.

After checking in and unloading the snowmobiles from the trailer, we
Source of the Wisconsin RiverSource of the Wisconsin RiverSource of the Wisconsin River

Geography Trivia: The Wisconsin River is the longest river in the United States wholly within one state.
decided to go for a ride, so we made a loop ride for about 30 miles. The trails were perfect. Not a bump to be found. Unbelievable for a Sunday evening after the heavy weekend traffic.

After our ride, we decided to go to the Red Man Supper Club for dinner. While there, we had a surprise. Pat and Dawn walked in. They had worked earlier today and saw my Suburban in the lot as they were arriving in Land O' Lakes. So they joined us for dinner.

We decided that we would ride together on Monday. It promises to be a great week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

At The Red ManAt The Red Man
At The Red Man

Our dinner destination.
In The Hot TubIn The Hot Tub
In The Hot Tub

Soaking those weary muscles after the ride.


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1054s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb