On our way to New York/Ontario and Highway US 219--August 26-September 4, 2012


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » West Virginia
August 28th 2012
Published: November 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Highway 219---2012 Trip to Southern Ontario and Upper State New York with all the States in between

When we came home from our trip out west, we noted a Technical Roadtrek Rally listed in the Roadtrek Newsletter was being held at a resort near Kitchener, Ontario. Since, 1) our warranty on the Roadtrek was to expire soon at 36,000 miles, and 2) there are no Roadtrek dealers near where we live, and 3) we needed to get some repair work done, and 4) there was still a lot to learn about our RV, we signed up for the Rally. Neither Valerie nor I had spent time in western New York State so, after getting Rosie II taken care of, we planned to spend time seeing Niagara Falls, the Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, and the Finger Lakes before heading home. We had hopes of coming across some Fall festivals or fairs and would take our time wandering through the region's hardwoods as they turned color.




Since we had to be at the Rally the day after Labor Day, we were concerned that we wouldn't find vacant camping spots along the way, so Valerie made reservations at several State Parks which

dictated our route north.We left Clarkston on Sunday August 26th at 2:45 after loading Rosie with last minute freezer stuff. It was 96 degrees, hot and cloudy. Starting mileage was 30,936.Headed north on I-85 and after a 2 hour stop to clothes shop in Commerce, arrived at Coneross State Park near the very old town of Townville, SC, but still on Lake Hartwell, for the night.

Monday morning, 8/27, we left the campground about 9:30 and turned toward Clemson, SC on the back roads. After the first turn out of the State Park there were no more directional signs and we encountered many intersections. At one seemingly major one, we stopped at a Quickstop and got gas for $3.43 per gal. Decided to put the Tom-Tom in to find our way. It decided we were still in KS and both of us said "Toto, I don't think we are in KS anymore." Made our way through the heavy traffic around Clemson and then back onto I-85 again.

Continued northeast to Gaffney, the home of the large Hamricks clothing store. Stopped to shop for more clothes and afterwards cut across on small rural roads through the college town of Boiling Springs. When we hit highway 18, we turned due north crossing into NC and then crossing I-40 at Morganton, the hometown of Senator Sam Ervin. At the community of Lenoir, we turned onto highway 321 and after a few miles turned along the Yadkin River on highway 286 and into the historic Yadkin Valley.

This old, old, windy narrow road goes near Ft. Defiance the home of the American Revolutionary War General, William Lenoir, which is still standing. We also saw the place where Tom Dula was hung for the murder of Laura Foster in 1868. The folk song Tom Dooley and legend surrounding the story doesn't quite match the facts of the murder, or at least those facts known today. Found Bandit's Roost State Park on the W. Kerr Scott Reservoir and settled in for the night.

Tuesday, August 28th. Left Bandit's Roost late this morning and drove into the town of Wilksboro. Turned east on highway 421 to I-77 and then turned north toward Virginia. After going through a long tunnel we crossed into West Virginia and stopped to have lunch in the parking lot at the Welcome Center. We then drove along the border between the two states on highway 460 until we could turn off onto highway 219, which we planned to travel up through the mountains as far north as Buffalo, NY.

Near the community of Salt Sulphur Springs, we came across the Indian Creek Covered Bridge, one of only 17 left in the State of West Virginia today. We crossed through a number of small communities as we continued north on 219 and wondered again what kind of work the residents did to survive, as it is too hilly to really farm and too far from any town or city to commute. Did see some signs of coal mining in the area.

We crossed I-64 and then headed into the MonongahelaNational Forest. Located Watoga State Park on the Greenbrier River, picked out a campsite and settled in to spend 2 nights in this pretty, very large 10,100 acre park, that was built by the CCC. Some very interesting stuff is located in this river valley including theDroopMountainBattlefieldState Park, which is the site of West Virginia's last significant Civil War battle, several other State Parks, and a slew of hiking trails.

Thursday, August 30th. This morning we visited the birthplace of Pearl S. Buck, our mother's favorite author, and the first woman to win both the Pulitzer and Nobel prizes. We toured both her grandparent's home/Museum and the log cabin home of her father that had been moved to the same farm site. Her parents had returned to the US in 1892 from China when her mother was pregnant because the two children born before Pearl had both died in China. The house was filled with all kinds of Chinese items as well as the things belonging to a farm family of that time period. We didn't realize she had written over 80 books besides the Good Earth.

Continuing on highway 219, we skirted along the edge of the National Forest, and then crossed back through the mountains and into the "panhandle of Maryland." At the junction of I-68, we turned west on highway 40 into Pennsylvania. In about 10 miles we turned on highway 281 and found the Tub Run State Park on the Youghioheny River Lake where we spent 2 nights.

Saturday, September 1st. We turned right back onto highway 281, which then angled back toward highway 219 at the town of Somerset. While still on 281, we began to see farms and corn fields planted on rolling hills as far as the eye could see. Along the road were farm stands selling fresh sweet corn and we stopped and got some---boy was that stuff GOOD.

As we maneuvered through town of Somerset, we spotted signs directing visitors to the Flight 93 Memorial. Looking at the map, we finally found that the location was just east of 219 a bit and that our narrow road now widened into an interstate. Driving about 10 miles north, we then turned east at the junction of US Highway 30. We discovered that this piece of road was part of the Lincoln Memorial Highway that was the first road built for the automobile across the United States and was formally dedicated October 31, 1913.

We continued following the signs until we arrived at the Memorial. We have put the pictures and narrative about this memorial in a separate section from this general blog "about what can be seen along US highway 219.” (See the next blog entry.) Moving quickly once we were back on the freeway, we headed toward Johnstown. We followed the signs to a building just off the freeway that housed the National Memorial museum and visitors center for the Johnstown Flood. We have placed those photos and narrative in another separate blog: see pictures after the Flight 93 section.

After touring the Park building, we ate lunch in the shaded parking lot of a picnic area that was near where the former clubhouse stood and the carriage trails wound along the lake. Afterwards we drove back to the junction and continued up highway 219. Freeway soon gave out to our usual narrow two lane highway and we continued north though small towns and communities. We saw more and more evidence of coal mining and towns with Eastern European influences brought with miners from there---onion domed churches, Slavic last names, etc.

After a long drive, we crossed I-80 and then into the Alleghany National Forrest. We turned north-west on highway 321 and then after 10 miles or so we took highway 6 at the town of Kane. We are now definitely into the mountains and forests. The forests however, really look sick with all the trees covered/hanging with bag worms with very few leaves on them. 25 miles further on at the town of Clarendon, we turned into the road leading to Chapman State Park. We are glad we had a reservation as this campground was full of campers. We found a spot and settled in for 2 nights. Glad we planned for a two night stay as the drive was very long in this stretch and since we spent so much time sightseeing it was almost nightfall when we arrived.

September 3rd. Overcast and rainy this morning as we left Chapman Park and drove back to highway 6 and turned left to the town of Rogertown and then turned east on scenic highway 59. This road crosses the large Kinzua Reservoir and recreation area and then joins back with 219. As we went along the lake, there was some sort of emergency going on as troopers, K-9 dogs, and emergency personal were on both sides of the road for several miles.

Back on 219, we crossed into New York State and the road became a 4 lane. We were startled to see "watch for bear" signs posted along the road. Never saw those warning signs on our trip to Alaska---deer, moose, elk, bison, but not bear. Highway 219 joined with I-86 for about 7 miles of the roughest surfaced-potholed road we had ever been on. We were relieved to get off at the town of Salamanca, which is in the Seneca Indian Reservation. Looked absolutely nothing like the reservations out west.

We next came to the really quaint village of Ellicottville. It was started in the very early 1800's and is now a tourist area both summer and winter as there are ski slopes beyond the town. We stopped and had lunch in an old cafe and walked a bit in the community.

About 20 miles later we were on an Interstate heading straight for Buffalo. We quickly skirted the downtown, following the Niagara River, and then crossed into Canada. We found Canadian highway #3 and finally located Sherkston Shores RV resort. Not much of a resort in our minds but a graveled area with a club house that would allow for meetings. Met with the coordinators and got our assigned spot for the Rally.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



14th November 2012

Interesting place for an Eastern Orthodox church! Wouldn't have thought of one there. Glad you got to see the Pearl S Buck House I remember you always enjoyed reading her books!

Tot: 0.552s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb