Cycling through Spain


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
June 2nd 2015
Published: June 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Map of the Camino de SantiagoMap of the Camino de SantiagoMap of the Camino de Santiago

We will begin in St Jean Pied de Port, France and end in Santiago, Spain.
Last year a friend and I were hiking and talking about traveling to Spain. We discussed the Camino de Santiago, a pilgrimage through Spain. Both of us agreed that we didn't have enough time to walk it, that we could bicycle. When I mentioned it to my husband he sounded interested. As the idea took root, planning and discussion grew. Unfortunately, my friend had promised to go on another trip and couldn't get the time off for both trips. I was too excited to wait. The plans kept rolling and by December we confirmed that this was really going to happen. We began gathering information, researching flights and the excitement grew. The internet is filled with much information but I also have friends who are from Spain. Our first big purchase was the flight. We found it cheaper to fly from Vancouver BC, than Seattle. Once we booked our tickets then we were able to start in motion the planning of logistics. How are we going to travel with our bikes? We decided to use a cardboard bike box to transport them. Mike has added roller blade wheels to one end of each box. Smart guy! The first leg of our trip is riding the Bolt bus from Seattle to Vancouver. We can bring our bike boxes but they must be under 50lbs. The airlines charge $125 for each bike. Much cheaper than a rental at the cost of $300 per week. Leaving Vancouver on June 8th, we arrive in Barcelona on June 9th. Once we are in Barcelona we make our way to the train station to travel to Pamplona where we will spend our first night. The next morning we will find a bus or taxi to take us to St Jean Pied de Port where we will spend our second night. From there we do not have an itinerary or schedule for the next 2 and half weeks. I will continue to post pictures and journal as much as I can through out our trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb