Celebrating the Leap Year in Seattle


Advertisement
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
February 29th 2020
Published: March 28th 2020
Edit Blog Post

My spouse Jeff was invited to referee a diving meet in Federal Way, south of Seattle. As airfares were reasonable, I decided to tag along and enjoy a long weekend in the area. Incidentally, this was the same meet I followed Jeff to two years ago. Jeff arrived a few days before I did. Revisiting a One-of-a-Kind Museum I arrived in Federal Way mid-morning on Friday, February 28th. I decided to rem... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Manolin RestaurantManolin Restaurant
Manolin Restaurant

Spotted at a bakery next to Manolin.
Manolin RestaurantManolin Restaurant
Manolin Restaurant

E.T. meets rubber chicken.
Pike PlacePike Place
Pike Place

Chewing gum wall at Post Alley.
Pike PlacePike Place
Pike Place

Chewing gum wall at Post Alley.
WaterfrontWaterfront
Waterfront

Looking out at the waterfront. I walked along it to get to the Underground City tour.
Seattle WaterfrontSeattle Waterfront
Seattle Waterfront

These seagulls were lined up along the outdoor tables next to an Ivar's outlet waiting to pounce on anyone who drops food.
Underground City TourUnderground City Tour
Underground City Tour

Pioneer Square. These buildings were built atop the original city after it burned down.
Underground City TourUnderground City Tour
Underground City Tour

Bust of Chief Seattle. Seattle is the only major city in the United States named after an indigenous person. He was known to be a skillful orator and he worked out agreements with white settlers to his tribe's advantage. I first learned about Chief Seattle when I read a poster in New Zealand back in 1986 when I was a teenager. That poster had a speech about environmentalism attributed to him. I've since learned that that claim may not be entirely accurate as the speech may have been lost in translation.
Underground City TourUnderground City Tour
Underground City Tour

A recreation of an underground speakeasy. Back in the day, the underground city became a notorious den of vice.
Underground City TourUnderground City Tour
Underground City Tour

The photos on the wall show what the area looked like before the original city burned down.
Underground City TourUnderground City Tour
Underground City Tour

This building in Pioneer Square had owl statues on its facade. I counted seven.
Pike PlacePike Place
Pike Place

The original Starbucks. Note the logo.
Pike PlacePike Place
Pike Place

Daffodils growing on the rooftops.
Pike PlacePike Place
Pike Place

Sadly, monkfish is not a common ingredient in the American seafood diet. I loved monkfish when I lived in Europe in the 1990s. Unlike my prior visits to Pike Place, I didn't witnesses any fish throwing this time.



28th March 2020

Mermaid on a diet
Interesting to see how the mermaid got thinner and more modest over the years.
28th March 2020

Wow, you’re right...
It’s sad that even a representation of a mythical creature has to conform to an ideal body image.
30th March 2020
Pacific Bonsai Museum

Amazing Bonsai!
This might well be the most beautiful one I've seen yet!
30th March 2020
Pacific Bonsai Museum

This was among my favorites too!
This bonsai reminded me that these are actual trees.
30th March 2020

Glad you and Jeff are ok
Glad neither of you caught the new virus. I've been home myself for a week now and I'm looking at another week ahead of me at home due to a cough and a runny nose. No clue if I caught the new virus or not but I'm following the official guidelines. I really wish they would test here in Sweden though as it would be nice to know if I actually need to keep isolated or not. I'm just looking forward to when this is all done and over with so that I can get back on the road.
30th March 2020

Actually, we don’t know if we have the virus...
We’re asymptomatic, but we haven’t been tested. There is an awful shortage of test kits here in the US. We’re maintaining social distance and staying home as much as we can. Like you, we want to know whether we have it. We don’t want to be the next Typhoid Mary. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.
1st April 2020

Seattle
Glad you got home safe and virus-free Siewch. Seattle looks intriguing, and I like the way you got deep down to some interesting, quirky and off-the-beaten track sights there. Thank you also for the message of encouragement in these strange times, giving hope that we will indeed return to normal at some point, and will be appreciating the gift of travel again more than ever before. Take care at this time, be safe and healthy.
1st April 2020

Quirky Seattle
Seattle has lots of entries in Atlas Obscura; I would love to spend more time here and slowly check off the Atlas Obscura entries one by one. It’s a really fun city and you should visit if you haven’t already done so. Stay safe.
1st April 2020

Seattle
We lived in Seattle for several years. It is a great city. I've never been to the Bonsai museum. I'll have to check that out next time I'm up there. Love the underground tour. Glad you didn't get sick. Stay safe.
1st April 2020

Bonsai Museum
I would never have known about it if we hadn’t stayed near the Aquatic Center (where a Jeff goes to hedge/referee dive meets). It’s a true gem! Stay safe.

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb