Island Parallels Part II


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Isle of Wonder---->Sucia Island
I've been giving this an unreasonable amount of thought lately, but I've come to the conclusion that for the Isle of Wonder, Sucia island is the only way to go. In Spanish, "Isla sucia" means "dirty island" and it was apparently given this name because of the craggy rocks and reefs surrounding it. This, as we all know, is a major characteristic of the Green Isles in general; it is why Alexander crashed upon the shore of the Isle of the Crown and it was why the ferry was so important. The ferryman was the only one who could sail with ease between the islands.
Anyway, Sucia Island is a Washington State Marine Preserve. Supposedly, it is home to mink, otters, ducks, eagles, clams, crabs, oysters, and seals. This is a pretty good variety of wildlife, and I thought a place that was essentially uninhabited, except by "creatures" was a good parallel for the Isle of Wonder. Besides, the Isle of Wonder has oysters, which are pretty close to clams....

Isle of the Sacred Mountain---->Orcas Island
This parallel is fairly simple. Orcas island is home to Mount Constitution, the highest point in the San Juan Island. Orcas is also the largest of the islands, like Isle of the Sacred Mountain. The only pictures of Mount Constitution feature the view of Mount Baker from Mount Constitution, so if you do a search don't get too excited; it's probably Mount Baker. To my knowledge there are no Ancient Ones inhabiting Orcas Island, although there are a lot of woods so the possibility is there. Also, I don't know if anyone has been deep down inside Mount Constitution to see if there are catacombs.

Isle of the Beast---->Spieden Island
This is my favorite island. Spieden isn't one of the main islands, because it's small and has always been privately owned. Once upon a time, the owner decided to make it a big-game reserve and brought in lots of large hoofstock and game bird species from Africa, Asia, and Europe for hunting. Local environmentalists (this is the west coast so that includes pretty much the entire population) of course protested and the reserve had to be shut down, but the animals remained. The birds have dispersed or gone extinct, but there are at least two species of cervids and one bovid that remain: Sika sheep from Asia, fallow deer from Europe, and Mouflon sheep from Corsica. Spieden Island is currently owned by the founder of Oakley.

*A Note About Isle of the Mists*
I haven't been here that long yet and I may need to proceed further before this island is revealed to me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



23rd June 2008

Can you obtain a picture of the lone resident of Isle of the Beast? Make sure you bring an iceberg lettuce and a shield when you go.

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb