{Day 2} Shenandoah Crossing, Gordonsville, VA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
December 7th 2014
Published: January 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We are checked in and have explored the grounds at this resort. We picked Shenandoah Crossing just outside of Gordonsville in Virginia. We chose a 3 bedroom cabin (we were expecting another couple to come with us). The cabin had 3 bedrooms (1 king, 2 full and 2 twins), 2.5 bathrooms, and an open kitchen, dinning and living room. It also had a washer and dryer! This place is amazing, though we did not do a lot of the activities that they have available, we saw it all. They have horse stables, a restaurant (they are currently rebuilding due to a fire), paddle boats, basketball courts, mini putt-putt and an old Mansion to explore.

This day we wanted to go to Richmond, Yorktown, Williamsburg and Fort Monroe. I know. we have planned a lot this trip and plan on seeing it all! Our first stop was Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA. We wanted to see the confederate burial grounds. This was very surreal. To see so many who scarified their lives to this war is unbelievable.

Our next stop was Fort Monroe. On the Chesapeake Bay, it is a popular historic site. We viewed prison cells for President Jefferson Davis & Robert E. Lee and where President Abraham Lincoln once stayed. We even went across the bay and through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. That is pretty amazing, instead of a bridge they built a tunnel that went under the bay!

After we left here, we made our way to Yorktown. My husband said this town had historic significances with President George Washington. I was more interested in their newly renovated downtown area. So many restaurants and little shops right on the river! We stopped to eat at the Riverwalk Restaurant and it was slightly to fancy for us. But they did sell chicken and waffles!

Our last stop was at Historic Williamburg for their Grand Illumination festival. Reenactments, fireworks and much more! I wish we had more time here to see it in the day light. But we arrived just in time for the fireworks show! 20 minutes of nothing but spectacular light show. I'm not ashamed to let my inner 5 year old show and say that I will travel near and far for fireworks! And these have to be the best that I have ever seen.

With the day coming to an end and a big day tomorrow, we made it back to our cabin.

♥ Ems


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb