{Day 3} Luray Caverns & Shenanadoah National Forest


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Luray
December 8th 2014
Published: January 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to sleep in and get a late start. We have heard about the Luray Caverns, which is about 30-45 minutes away from our cabin. And leave it to me to realize that I forgot my DSLR. I know the photographer in the family for the camera. Good thing I have a decent camera phone (still doesn't compare though).

This place was a little tricky for us to find. We followed google maps directions and got to the location BUT, thinking its caverns, it would be in the middle of nowhere, right? Turns out it is in the middle of a shopping center. We just drove past it thinking the maps were wrong. We went in and got our ticket and had time to go around and walk the center. There are many things to do here, museums, a cafe, and even a child's park.

On-line the caverns say it stays a constant 65 degrees, with humidity its about 70-72. Now it being close to 35-40 degrees, I was very skeptical. It is as they say, I wore a thick cardigan with a long sleeve shirt and I was fine, except my hair which is naturally curly and I had straightened it today. I would suggest comfortable shoes to wear and bring your camera!

After we left the Caverns we wanted to take the scenic way back and drive Scenic Highway through the Shenandoah National Forest. By the time we got to the gate it was around 4:15pm and the park closes at 5pm. Since we were going to get off at the next exit, only 28 miles away, we figured we would have enough time. BOYYYY were we wrong! Going higher in elevation the roads got icy and the fog was so thick we could only see about 10 feet ahead of us. Luckily we were in my Jeep Wrangler and were able to kick it into 4 wheel drive. During this 28 mile stretch, we came up with multiple stories to tell... From our highest speed was 20 mph (truth) to my baby cousin lost a finger due to frost bite and we saw Sasquatch (obviously the truth).

Finally, we made it out of the forest, we were worried that thy would close us in after 5pm, at 5:20pm. With that long and exhausting journey behind us, we were starving. When we got back to Gordonsville we stopped at a local take out place called Pomme To Go. I highly recommend this place! Not only did we get dinner and dessert but we also got breakfast and a few snacks for the following day. Now since this place is strickly to-go, there was only one table (if you chose to dine in) and 2 cooks. One seemed to be the owner and he was extremely helpful.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb