Natural Tunnel State Park, VA · Leeman Field RV Park and Campground, VA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
June 20th 2022
Published: June 20th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we spent the entire day driving so I got a nice 8 hours into work. We had another issue with the truck, and we had to stop off at an AutoZone to replace one of the coils. We got in late to Leeman Field RV Park and Campground, VA. It is a Passport America park, so our rate is only $15 a night. The RV Park is next to a park with a swimming pool, basketball, bike trail, etc.

Today we tried to sleep in a little bit because the drive yesterday took a toll on us; especially with the mountain driving and truck issue. We ventured out to Natural Tunnel State Park located in the Appalachian Mountains. From the parking area we took a chair lift down to a beautiful wide gorge sandwiched between steep stone walls. We followed the path to the tunnel. The tunnel formed naturally into a cave and was converted to a railroad tunnel. The tunnel was more than 850 feet long and 10 stories high. Unfortunately, we were not able to explore into the tunnel if we could have gotten here yesterday the tunnel would have been open for exploration. ☹ We hiked along a path that led across a bridge to The Carter Cabin. We saw a skittish deer, but not much other wildlife. On the way back up the path I heard a train from a distance and told Nate to run ahead. He was able to catch the train on video coming out of the tunnel and into the small manmade tunnel. We were pretty lucky to see a train during our visit.

We were able to get back early. We went for a swim, made a large salad for dinner, and took the dogs for a long walk along the creek. Chloe enjoyed times like this when she gets to go off leash. She loves climbing rocks, walking in the creek, and chasing robins. Mandy on the other hand takes it easy sniffing everything near me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb