Day 15: Farewell Brooklyn Hello Washington DC - Kym


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Washington
September 22nd 2019
Published: September 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

After a quick trip to Macy’s we bid a fond farewell to Mike, Caroline and Franzi. We’ve had such a wonderful week with them exploring the sights of New York and will really miss them all terribly. It really is so much fun meeting up in a different country every few years, catching up and discovering new places together!

Dean had a last trip to his favourite coffee shop on the corner - I think their revenue will drop significantly! I’ll miss looking out the front window at the Fire Station and Brooklyn Food Co-op with all the volunteers carrying shopping to customers car.

Our bags seemed a little heavier as we lugged them on the subway for our Amtrak Train to Washington DC. It was just over three hours on the train and we arrived to another impressive station. We made our way to our next AirBnb which is another gorgeous double story place looking out onto lush greenery. Bella bounced down the top level of the stairs on her bottom but laughed it off!

Its much warmer here and we had a lovely stroll to dinner and were really spoilt for choice. There seem to be lots of bookshops and wine bars here! We decided on an Italian place which makes everything from scratch and was absolutely delicious!

I’ve been particularly excited about the few days in Washington DC as my grandparents lived here for three years 45 years again. My magnificent Pop was Navy Attaché and I have fond memories of stories from their time here. My Nan got her drivers licence here when she lived here in her mid 40’s. Apparently my Pop had been asked to move here on many occasions but didn’t want to disrupt the kids education. So they waited until their youngest (Karen) was 16. Sent her to boarding school (another story there) and went off on the trip of a lifetime. My other Aunty Kathie went with them and worked at the Australian Embassy. There’s been some reminiscing in the last few days and my favourite story is the Bloody Mary’s for breakfast!

Looking forward to a few great days here!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



24th September 2019

Wow
Accom looks sooooooo good, well done!

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb