Readsboro to Woodstock, VT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Woodstock
September 20th 2020
Published: October 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Yes, there is a Woodstock VT, and its a beautiful little town along the Ottoqueechee River. Arrived there late in the afternoon, to a motel all set up for Covid reception. No touch, no talk. Just fill in the form in the room with Covid related queries. Somehow I lucked out, and was given a corner room with a huge view over the river as it came round a bend and into town. Just sat there worn out from the ride staring at the view, the leaves changing... Then went out and had a great meal at a local restaurant.

The route North from Readsboro ranges from East to West across this rather narrow section of the state, winding through the Green Mountain National Forest looking for the scenic and non-developed countryside. Big towns like Bennington and Brattleboro dominate the region, but the NEBDR stays well away from them. You would never know you are in prime tourist country, as you struggle along the narrow gravel tracks. The day includes quite a few sections of the so called C4 roads, pieces so gnarly that day trippers like myself are advised to take the Alt-Easy sections. Which I did quite happily.

Every now and then, the route rolls into beautiful little New England town, all quiet and organized amidst the trees and two hundred year old houses. Grafton is one such place, with a General Store and an ancient Inn. Still serves a great lunch to travelers. I had eaten no breakfast, so the service was welcome -- and the waitress rode her bike with her father, so we exchanged stories. The little town of Plymouth Notch a little further north celebrated its claim to fame as the childhood home of Calvin Coolidge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Steel Horse 1Steel Horse 1
Steel Horse 1

Steel sculpture of horse by Joseph Fichter turned loose on a hill near Putney VT where the artist has his studio.
Inn at Grafton VTInn at Grafton VT
Inn at Grafton VT

Dating from 1801, still serves great fish and chips.
Early morning at a garden on the Ottauquechee RiverEarly morning at a garden on the Ottauquechee River
Early morning at a garden on the Ottauquechee River

From motel in Woodstock VT. The river runs through a deep rock gorge a few miles East of the town. Fun to visit.


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb