Zion National Park


Advertisement
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Arizona in June of 2008 to return to the Northwest for the summer. Zion National Park was a must see spot! We stayed four days, hiking each day. This park is our favorite national park. It's scenic and so easy to access. Most canyons you view from the rim looking down such as the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Crater Lake. However, at Zion you are in the canyon looking up and hiking in the canyon itself. The best and most uniquie hike was The Narrows. This hike is 16 miles long. The correct way is to start from outside the park, above the rim and hike down thru the Virgin River Canyon into the park. The best way to do this is over a two day span. 80% of the hike is in the water as the pictures show. The reason for this is because there is no shoreline. It is all canyon wall - nicknamed Wall Street! Our friends from Verrado, Don and Cathie, joined us on this hike. We elected to start inside the park and hike up. The first mile is all paved and easy walking. Then pavement ends and the water begins! This is one hike we will never forget! We want to mention our friend, Charlie Smith, who has done this hike four times completing the full 16 miles in one day! Way to go Charlie!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Angels RestAngels Rest
Angels Rest

We did not make it to the top of this. It requires holding onto chains avoiding people and a 1,000+ foot drop. Not my idea of fun.
The WigglesThe Wiggles
The Wiggles

Series of switch backs going up to Angels Rest.
4 in the water4 in the water
4 in the water

Don, Cathi, Mary and Bill in the water.


Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb