moab


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
October 9th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday october 8th, 2008

We left k-mart parking lot as early as we could…..which always seems to be 9:00 am. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to check out the blue light specials, or get any underwear from k-mart….definitely k-mart, underwear…yeah (that is a rainman thing….i guess you have to be here).
Over 3 hours to moab from the parking lot we stayed in….it was a good three hours though, we had things to look at, and no one in this vehicle was suffering from the gastro intestinal concerns we have been experiencing to this point. All things considered it was a great three hours.
As for the terrain, I expected john wayne to be racing down the slope on his steed, leading a band of Indians into an ambush in the hoodoos.
We suddenly sprung upon Moab. Tons of tourists, small town, bikes and exotic four wheel drive vehicles everywhere. We found our RV site easily, set up camp for the first time this trip and then set out on a reconnaissance of the town. We then engaged on our first ride in moab. Our first ride was a shuttle to the top, but only for time considerations. We did the famous slick rock trail……or at least a bunch of it. Starting with the practice loop and flowing beautifully into the main trail. ‘What is slick rock like?’ you ask? Incredibly different, and mostly like what your thinking.
They paint little white lines on all this red smooth rock, and it undulates for miles around some giant crevasses. In areas you can choose your own line, and in other areas any deviation could be disastrous. And coming from the cariboo, any absence of the little white lines would result in one becoming miserably lost and sinewy food for buzzards.
It is fascinating country that can only be described with 1000 words or some pictures. We will attach pictures soon.
Tonight we are BBQing steaks for dinner, and a little red wine. Anticipating an early night, because tomorrow we need to be up really really early, to catch some kind of shuttle to a certain trail we are assured will be the greatest trail in moab……it is so great they don’t even tell tourists about it. Apparently we look like locals. It surspises me that there is a high contingent of pasty white irish and Scotsman Canadians that reside in Moab. It surprises me even more that they would be as sun burnt as we are already.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb