Red Rock Eye Candy


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
September 21st 2008
Published: September 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday September 20, 2008

This blog will be short because the photos say it all and we hope you enjoy the eye candy as much as we enjoyed seeing and photographing it. These photos are just a sampling. Kayla took almost a hundred photos and Richard took many video clips.

We were amazed to find a somewhat lesser known area in Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse Point State Park 20 miles northwest of Moab. Dead Horse was definitely a sleeper. We wonder how the Grand Canyon will top this.

Brad (you know who you are) had casually mentioned to us not too long ago that he once cycled the White Rim Road. Ha! Now we know what it is Brad, so you can’t pretend this wasn’t an epic 100-mile plus ride on a muddy track clinging to the edge of the precipitous middle rim layer of this 2000-foot deep desert canyon area, with not a drop of water in sight.

Mornings are getting later and later as we laze around in the morning enjoying the desert breezes until the camper gets too hot and we feel compelled to leave. The days have definitely been very warm here, up to 30 C every day, contrary to the weather forecast, which was for cooler days. In fact, there is such a heat wave going on in Arizona that we are changing our plans and heading east into Colorado and then maybe into New Mexico before tackling anything further south and west. We are finding that 30 C is just about the highest we can tolerate and do things outdoors such as walking or cycling, even though the air is extremely dry.

Starting out late in the morning also means we are more inclined to stay out later in the afternoon and evening to get the best photographs. Thus it was today and we found ourselves joining a few others, mostly the lucky ones in the know who got a campsite in Dead Horse, to watch the sun set. What a magnificent ending to the day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Canyonlands - Shafer RoadCanyonlands - Shafer Road
Canyonlands - Shafer Road

Providing access to the White Rim Road.
Shafer Access RoadShafer Access Road
Shafer Access Road

Anyone for a jeep ride down the canyon cliff?
White Rim RoadWhite Rim Road
White Rim Road

The road follows the white rim you see below.
Cinematographer at WorkCinematographer at Work
Cinematographer at Work

Climbing just about anywhere there is rock.
Again from Dead Horse PointAgain from Dead Horse Point
Again from Dead Horse Point

What a way to spend the evening!
Lookout at Dead Horse PointLookout at Dead Horse Point
Lookout at Dead Horse Point

Most people generally ignored the railed platform and clambered all over the rocks for a view.


22nd September 2008

Canyonlands
Now this one is definitely better than Monument Valley.

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb