Day 5 - Torrey, Utah to Moab, Utah Sept. 8, 2019


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
September 8th 2019
Published: September 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Okay folks, not a hell of a lot to write about today as it was a long travel day to Moab. The first part of this leg was eastbound on Rte 24, out the east gate of Capital Reef. The section of road continued to be quite scenic, with towering cliffs on either side of the roadway. We made a brief stop to view some petroglyphs along the way. Very hard to see, but interesting. Hitting Hanksville, we headed north and the scenery changed completely. Picture a highway on the moon and that is what it looked like. A local that we met in Torrey had said we should check out a place called Goblin Valley on this road, and we found the turnoff about 20 miles north of Hanksville. After driving down the longest entrance road I've ever seen, we stopped to pay a fee at the State Park office. Ray asked the young girl what it was we were going to see, and she responded "Goblins". Reaching the viewing area we were treated to a sea of thousands of otherwordly stone gnomes laid out before us. One has to imagine that this whole area, in fact all of Utah was once an inland sea. Most of the geology here is a result of the layers of sediment, salt, mud, etc piling up over the millenia. This fact, coupled with the earth plate movement and volcanic action caused interesting features to occur, on of which are these sandstone goblins. Due to decomposition and erosion this process continues and will expand the goblin landscape over the next few million years. Leaving this place, we continued north, picking up Highway 70 and 191 to Moab. Nothing to see on this stretch, but at least the speed limit was 80 MPH, so we could make up some time. We arrived in Moab around 1 pm pretty tired. Moab is a very artsie town, busy with tourists. We found a nice pizza place for lunch and then found our condo. This place is a beautiful as it appeared online. We spent the rest of the afternoon getting groceries, chilling a bit, cocktails and dinner. We hit the sac early, as we have a big day planned for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



10th September 2019

What great pics and always the commentary is superb! I do think u missed your calling as a writer.
12th September 2019

Very Interesting pictures!?

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb