Civilisation again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Hanksville
May 20th 2013
Published: May 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Back into civilisation again.

Had a pleasant ride to Bryce National Park. Pitched tent and got straight out there. Yet more stunning, stunning stuff. Unfortunately we're not able to access a computer to upload any photos, but will do so when we can. I don't think I can even begin to describe the rock formation, so won't try. Weather pleasant, but Bryce is quite high, so very chilly at night dropping to below freezing.

On the road again after stopping for breakfast, which consisted of the most ridiculous sized pancakes (only ate half) and then on to some of the most fantastic roads we've ever ridden. Unfortunately the GoPro is proving a complete pain, and I'm only just stopping Jim chucking it over the edge of a canyon (of which there are many). It keeps freezing on us. I gather there are updates, but will need a lot more time, computer and savvy than we can access at the moment. I kept stopping and took a fair few piccies so do have some coverage of it all, including a stop at the summit of a 9600' mountain whilst in a snow storm! So all those imagining us bathed in sunshine can re think! Actually it wasn't fun, I needed a wee, we were getting short of gas, visibility was zero, we were both freezing and had goodness knows how much further before getting out of it. All was fine though, we dropped back down, back into sun, petrol station and restrooms, all of which were next door to a cafe serving hot chocolate with whipped cream!

Camped at a very pleasant little campsite at Hanksville, Utah and spent much of the evening chatting to a lovely couple from Arizona, cruising around on their Harley. Another address in case we need it.

Back out to those roads. I did say that I loved those Arizona roads, but I'm loving these Utah roads too. Still pretty windy though and going through short showers especially over the high ground. Another climb to 9300', only rain this time. Jim pulled over after the descent, thought he looked a little wobbley., flat rear tyre! Tried phoning the AMA roadside assistance, but couldn't get through. Used the GPS and found a roadside recovery which I phoned. They picked up Jim's bike, brought us to this bed and breakfast and dropped it off at a tyre shop in town. A new inner tube has been ordered and hopefully should arrive tomorrow and Jim should be able to help fix it. Heaven knows how much that lot is going to cost....

Advertisement



22nd May 2013

Hey guys,the blog is awesome .looks like you are having a fab time of if.look forward to hearing all about it in person.see you guys in August . Fez.
22nd May 2013

Nice to hear from you. Trip taken a bit of a nose dive with tyre probs as you can read, though I think it may be a bit confusing re tubes/tyres/wheels. I'm standing in the gas station writing this, just waiting for the return of the wheel. Hope all the moving/selling/buying is going OK, always a bit of a stressful time, I'm sure your coping OK. Always nice to get comments on the blog, l hope you pick this up alright. Take care x
4th June 2013

I have seen the photo's!
Finally accessed the blog and photo's...wonderful! The commentary brings to life to the stunning pics and makes the reader (me in particular) want to hop onto a chopper (dirty mind Jim) and hot-foot it out to America. Sadly this is unlikely due to the fact I cannot ride a motorcycle...never say never tho' Lots of love. mags and Jim

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb