Zion National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Saint George
May 17th 2013
Published: May 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

grand and zion canyons 047grand and zion canyons 047grand and zion canyons 047

Zion National Park
There are subtle differences between the states, it appears more managed, more tamed than wild. But as ever the roads are breathtaking and diverse. One moment being desert and then Disneyesque mountains, climbing thousands of feet without really realising, apart from going deaf with ears popping.

I had booked a camping spot, via the internet. I could only book the one night as it was all booked up. They have 2 sights there, one for reservations and one for first come first served. Every spot has its own table and fire pit, and Zion has the luxury of toilets and running water (as did the Grand Canyon site).

After the Grand canyon, you feel as though you've seen all that nature can do, but driving into Zion does it all over again! Its just different.

After setting up camp (we're getting quicker all the time), we went off for a walk down one of the many trails. Zion is well managed with free shuttle buses to a number of trail heads with varying lengths and degrees of difficulty. They've stopped traffic so its the only way to get up the canyon other than walking but works well. Initially
grand and zion canyons 060grand and zion canyons 060grand and zion canyons 060

Smaller tunnel going through the rock.
I felt it was a little over managed, but the park is huge and at this time of year at least, it was still lovely.

Stayed another night in the other campground, there is so much to see. It was really windy both nights, and fell asleep with the whole tent rocking. We had been advised to fork out on the sleeping mats and to buy sheets and a 'comforter' for sleeping under, and it was a really good call, its so cozy!

Left to go to St George, Utah. Jim is unhappy with the tread on his rear tyre, and I'm still keen on buying a GoPro to video our riding, so we need big town again to catch up on things, obviously including this blog.

Managed to find a bike store who fitted a tyre onto Jim's bike. Chatted to the guy there about travelling around the country, he talked about another guy who had come in there a while back, a 6'8 guy from Sweden on a KTM - small world! - (see 5th May, for those who can't remember or weren't concentrating!)

Also managed to talk Jim into buying a GoPro, so hopefully we might even be able to download a video, tho that might be one step too far, perhaps we're just running away with ourselves now!

Happy Birthday popsie! - mum, nice to talk to you this morning x


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

grand and zion canyons 045grand and zion canyons 045
grand and zion canyons 045

The Virgin river going through the canyon.
grand and zion canyons 065grand and zion canyons 065
grand and zion canyons 065

Anybody with an interest in geology will be fascinated, I just love the colours man!
Copy of grand and zion canyons 073Copy of grand and zion canyons 073
Copy of grand and zion canyons 073

Something lovely about seeing wildlife in its natural habitat.
grand and zion canyons 058grand and zion canyons 058
grand and zion canyons 058

Photo stop on way out of the park.
grand and zion canyons 057grand and zion canyons 057
grand and zion canyons 057

Taken while riding along. Can't manage with my left hand, so have to take hand off the throttle, hence Jim is a long way in front. Tried again going into the 1.1 tunnel hewn into the rock (apparently took 3 years to do back in the 20s or 30s), but didn't work, just got sky!


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0835s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb