Escalante Grand Staircase and Glen Canyon Dam


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Escalante
September 12th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Escalante Grand Staircase stretches from the Capital Reef National Park down to the Dixie National Forest. It is an incredible drive down HWY 12, known as once of the most scenic drives in the country. You are surrounded by Sandstone cliffs and Hoodoos. Once you leave the Grand Staircase, you head into Dixie National Forest. It has high heavily wooded mountains with lots of deer and cows. Although it is public lands, BLM will lease the land to ranchers to graze their cattle. The cows won't be there much longer, high altitude and it was getting very cold. It sure made for raw nerves, we had seen so much wildlife on the trip, but we were all very tired by this point.

We traveled through several great small towns Kanab, Bryce and Mt. Carmel on our way to Glen Canyon dam. It is amazing to see the history of the dam and how the flood waters are controlled. We didn't stay long, a height thing again. I have looked off of enough high ledges to last me for a while.

We spent the night in Tuba City AZ. Very interesting, one side of the town in Navajo Nation and the other side is Hopi Nation. The Navajo follow Day Light Savings time, the Hopi do not. Two different time zones in the same town. They also had flash flooding here. There were many old building, some from the early Mormon settlers who built the homes from ancient rock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0848s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb