AZ2UT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Cedar City
June 27th 2016
Published: June 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

26 June 2016: We left Page at 1100 hrs and headed North on Hwy 89. This is a very scenic drive; winding roards climbs and descents, passing lanes for the convenience of those behind us. We passed through Kanab without finding a suitable place to park for lunch. I know we've eaten there before. Kanab was founded in 1870 by Joseph Hamblin when 10 Mormon families settled near Kanab Creek.

Proceeding North we did stop at Mt Carmel for lunch. This is where the road leading to Zion National Park comes down out of the mountains so there are usually several tour buses parked there. After lunch we continued on Hwy 89 which follows a river valley flanked by small farms and ranches punctuated by little communities nestled among Cottonwood trees.

Soon we reached the turnoff to Cedar City on UT14 Scenic Byway which carried us over the mountains past Duck Creek, Navajo Lake and many intriguing locations we hadn't time to explore. Now this is a really winding mountain road which passes through sandstone cliffs and alpine meadows where we have seen sheep grazing in the past. We passed the turnoff to Brianhead and soon were descending towards our destination far below. Once past Rusty's Steakhouse we knew our journey was almost over.

At the intersection of UT14 and Main St, workers were busy watering the hanging baskets of petunias mounted on the street lamps to mark this year's iteration of the Shakespearean Festival. We turned right and traveled through the historic district to the edge of town and the Cedar Breaks RV Park, newly renamed to reflect a change in ownership. The park is much improved since we were hyere last. New gravel, orderly layout, more campers, fresh paint. We didn't get one of the shadier spots but it seems like there's more shade now too.

We pulled into our pull through space, connected electricity and water, extended the three slides and leveled the coach. Next I went to extend the awning but one side would not come out. Too tired to fuss with it today, I'll do it tomorrow. Inside, I pressed the power button on the satellite dish. Whrrrr, whrrrr. It figures where the satellite is and locks on to it. This is much better than standing outside with a compass and a level with a signal strength meter trying to find it manually. Whrrr, whrrr. Code 755 means the dish is not picking up the signal from the satellite. I checked all the cables and plugs. Everything's tight. Outside I inspect the dish on the roof. It is pointing directly at a tree three feet away. So, raise the leveling jacks, retract the slides, check to make sure there's enough slack in the electrical and water lines and s-l-o-w-l-y (don't try this at home) back up, being careful not to hit the car behind the coach. After backing up six feet, we have a good signal. Out go the slides, down go the jacks. We are set for the night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb