Utah's National Parks


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bryce CanyonBryce CanyonBryce Canyon

The hiking at Bryce was my favorite in our National Park tour of southern Utah. Dr. Seuss inspiration for sure, not to mention Queen's Castle, which I am sure must be the image on which the underwater castle in Little Mermaid was based.
Last few days at Indian Creek got a little rainy, which got in the way of my plans to send Excuse Station (ha ha, I know). For those of you interested in a photo montage illustrating every way to jam an off-width crack, check out
Jeremy Frimer's Web Album ... thanks Jer, for the photo session! Rachel is in the pics too, but you have to look at the blurry belayer down below.

We spent our rainday in Canyonlands, spending $80 US on a National Park Pass. Quick soapbox moment... this is up significantly from last year, but now the pass covers other areas like BLM and Forest Service. For those of you who don't spend a lot of time on public land, these areas are FREE... the new park pass gives you free access to things that don't actually cost money in the first place.... like getting a coupon to breathe air... anyway, off of the soapbox. (Write your congressman.)

I became obsessed with getting my money's worth on the park pass (see above). So after Canyonlands for trailrunning and hiking, we drove through Capitol Reef for same same, but different, then Bryce Canyon for a Dr. Seuss-style hike, and
Home Sweet HomeHome Sweet HomeHome Sweet Home

This was our campsite just outside Capitol Reef National Park... this tent is our main shelter for ~3 months.
then to Zion for some aid climbing. Got our money's worth before we even left the state!

Climbing in Zion is a little like Indian Creek - sandstone rock is the name of the game. The difference with Zion was really in our objective - to practice aid climbing. We decided on Touchstone - a lengthy route, but a combo of free and aid that could be done in one day. I learned that despite the way it sounds, bolt ladder does NOT equal easy and C1 just means you won't fall far on hooks or other body-weight type protection, again not necessarily easy. Super fun, but got us excited to head further west to Cali!






Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Zion aid climbingZion aid climbing
Zion aid climbing

Rachel sorts through all the additional gear required to aid climb.


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1958s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb