Day 38, 39, 40, 41 August 12, 13, 14, 15/14 Fulton Beach, Texas 8160 kms


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas
August 15th 2014
Published: August 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


# The Walking Wounded

It’s been 4 days since our last blog entry and that’s my fault. I’ll explain in a moment. We left San Antonio Tuesday morning for a relatively short ride to Corpus Cristi on the gulf coast of Texas. The 260 kilometer trip down was uneventful. It was all about looking forward to seeing the ocean again. As we could only explore the area by internet we decided to stay in an area about 25 miles north of the city in a town called Rockport. The name is appropriate as we are constantly reminded of the TV show The Rockford Files and the main character Jim Rockford with his trailer on the beach and the scenes of him fishing off the beach. There appear to be two main reasons for being in this area: first is the fishing, and second is to party on the beach. Just south of us is an area called Port Aransas which has beautiful white sand beaches offering what seems like hundreds of bars and restaurants as well as a thriving fishing community.

We arrived about three o’clock Tuesday afternoon and checked into a nice hotel across from a marina on Fulton Bay. As we were unloading the bikes, Helli pulled her back. I came into the room and found her on the floor trying to relieve the muscle pull. So that’s why I have not written for the last three days. (Sorry but it hasn’t been a priority). So we are still in Rockport and are planning to stay here as long as necessary. Helli’s back is still causing her a lot of pain but it is showing signs of improvement . Yesterday I rented a car from the small local airport and we were able to get out to see some of the area. We did drive down to Port Aransas and took a small ferry over to Padre Island to check out the white sand beaches and have dinner at a busy waterfront restaurant. It is so humid that every time we leave the hotel to go for a walk and maybe take a few pictures, the camera fogs up and it takes up to an hour before it will clear. When we arrived on Tuesday this was a sleepy area with half the shops closed and not a lot happening. As the weekend approaches it is party time. All the hotels are booked and at first we were told we would have to move regardless of Helli’s back. Since that time the manager has told us she has a room so we can stay as long as needed. With a back injury, you just never know how it will respond to the rest. It was just a week ago I did the same thing and I was worried about riding as well. My back is still tender. As it turns out there could be a lot worse places to sit and wait. We have a great pool, a kitchenette and several restaurants close by. If we need to do any shopping I can ride a couple of miles to a shopping center for more Advil and beer. Hopefully I will get tomorrow’s blog in on time and it will have a little better news.

# the walking wounded


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb