"Bushed" at the George Bush Marriott!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
January 16th 2016
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 29.7605, -95.3698

Time Check: 2030hrs Central Time.....0230hrs GMT.....

Status: Sitting in Room 2059 in the George Bush Marriott Hotel at the guess what ........The "GB" Intercontinental Airport"

We landed at 1820 after a first class flight with United. Our steward Ian was in his early 70's and must have been with the airline when they flew coverted B29 Bombers from WW2. He was not your typical "Steward"....more like a smaller version of "Batmans" Butler.......posh English voice...married (F) and had lived in Bunker Hill Houston for over 50 years.....we got on well and he plied me with copious glasses of UA's best grog.....so much so I took an early "zzzz" about 3 hours into the flight to recover......or perhaps it was the side effects of the hand constructed "KNICKERBOCKER GLORY"....delicately assembled by a petite stewardess who look like one of the "SUPREMES"...

To be frank, we have had a bit of a battle clearing the Immigration and Customs......I know we live in "dangerous times" but I now remember why we avoid the USA for transit flights.......a 40 lane Immigration Hall.....all very nice and smart.........guess what?....3 lanes open for about 400 people.....! Finger prints...hand prints...retina scans.....questions......fine.....and I fully understand why.....BUT.......it took over 1 hour to get through....at one point I was poised to go up to be "INTERVIEWED" when the Mexican looking Officer stepped out of his booth and went off for his break! Eventually we found our way to the baggage carousel where our "PRIORITY" offloaded luggage were the last three pieces to be collected!!!

Proceeding onwards and after a scenic ride to all 8 floors in a cramped lift.....we took a small electric mini subway train......reminiscent of the "Bubble Works" ride at Chessington World of Adventures to our Hotel......an excellent room and helpful staff awaited us.........we will retrace our steps at 0615hrs in the morning...to catch the 0855 UA Flight to Manaugua some 4 hours due South.

TIME CHECK: 0449 Local. Up and bustling about......coffee on.....kettle slow due to low 110v instead of 240v....FLIGHT RADAR shows a 787 from Sao Paulo on final approach.....



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb