How about a Rita Margarita...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
September 22nd 2005
Published: September 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Houston on Friday...!Houston on Friday...!Houston on Friday...!

If there wasn't a meteorgologist, we wouldn't have a clue...
I'm currently drinking a dirty gin martini with a blue cheese stuffed olive after a long day of sunbathing and dog walking. The 5 of us (mom, dad, 2 puppies, and me) are in such a state of limbo that we don't quite know what to do with ourselves. As I'm sure you are all aware, Hurricane Rita is slowly waiting to show her wrath to East Texas.

Everything in the entire city is closed. Gas stations have no gas...grocery stores have no water or ice. There were 3 clouds in the sky the entire day today and there was a pleasant breeze that felt incredibly nice in the 98 degree heat. I bought some margarita mix and some tequila and I will entertain the fam with some hurricane rita margaritas in a couple hours. Maybe if I had some Hurricane mixer I could call it a Hurricane Rita...ha! The storm isn't supposed to hit until Saturday morning so tomorrow is more of the exact same. We are OK...we are better than OK...we're looking for a place to sneak on to a golf course tomorrow that's closed.

The freeways are gridlock and no one can move. Our friends tried
But just around the corner...But just around the corner...But just around the corner...

Isn't it beautiful??
to get out of town and it took them 5 hours to go 200 yards. Needless to say they gave up soon after. City officials just opened the east and southbound lanes of traffic for contraflow traffic to travel out of the city on the major freeways. Currently traffic is just starting to MOVE (2mph) again.

Carly is at her new apartment in Huntsville, up in north Houston. She is hunkering down with her sorority sisters and she will be fine. Even though she might take a more direct hit, by the time the storm reaches her it will have turned into a tropical storm for sure.

Amazingly enough, I have learned everything there is to know about hurricanes and the history of storms in Houston. With nothing on except local news, I can tell you that I now know much more than I need to know about this wonderful storm.

I can't wait for this stupid storm to be over with. The events leading up to it worse then the real thing because we are struggling to find things to do. I guess I'll make a dent in that 900 page novel I started yesterday.


Advertisement



22nd September 2005

Reading or writing
Are you reading or writing the 900 page novel ?
22nd September 2005

Hi
Hmmmmm, spoken like a true newly graduated college student!! A new type of margarita!! Hope all goes well for you all. If things get rough over the long term, come up and see the great Northwest. All we have are earthquakes (shhh!!don't tell anyone. Hang in there!! Gaye :o)
26th September 2005

glad you all are ok another lesson in patience huh????

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.3kb