Day 20 - Amarillo by Morning (George Straite)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Amarillo
October 13th 2016
Published: October 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Howdy from the Great State of Texas!

For us Amarillo by evening was full of surprises and fun! Just off of interstate 40, west of Amarillo we saw some unique and colorful structures literally sprouting up from the dirt. A bit of research told us that this was the famous??? Cadillac Ranch. Evidently you can bring spray paint and leave your mark on these old cars which are partly buried! Weird but interesting.

Our campground was just off the interstate which I knew. What the website didn't say was that our Motorcoach would be directly lined up with a runway at Amarillo International Airport! What a treat! We were very surprised at the size of the greater Amarillo area. It is loaded with hotels and restaurants. The world famous Big Texan offers free limo rides from the surrounding hotels and campgrounds so of course we took advantage of their hospitality! The limo arrived, piloted by a cowboy and sporting horns on the hood! We were thrilled to be serenaded at dinner by an adorable trio--fiddle, guitar, and bass and they sang Amarillo by Morning! The restaurant also brews its own beer and we truly enjoyed the pecan porter and brought a growler home! We did not take the 72 oz steak challenge, but watched a man devour this enormous meal in under 60 minutes! So it was free for him. We had a great time and enjoyed the gift shop as well.

We woke up to rain today. This is only the third time we've encountered rain or even clouds. And today is the first full day of clouds for our entire trip so far! We are enroute to Chandler, Oklahoma. It's cool today but the area is expected to warm up tomorrow and be quite nice this weekend.

Thanks for following us!
Marc and Joyce


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb