Gibson Factory, MLK and Bike Night


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
June 22nd 2016
Published: January 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 3

Up early and headed to the Blue Plate Cafe on Court Avenue for some ham n eggs and a side of pancakes. After a bucket of coffee, headed to the Memphis Rock n Roll museum across from the Gibson Guitar Factory. Some cool exhibits including the organ and original lyrics for Suspicious Minds.

Headed across the road to the Gibson Factory for the tour. Really interesting watching the guitars being built by hand. 60 guitars a day target pretty awesome. Watching them paint a sunburst was incredible. The guys at the end of the production line also have to be accomplished lead guitarists in order to test and tune these gorgeous pieces.

After the tour (via the Gift shop and restrained myself from picking up a Hummingbird!) it was off for a stroll along the Mississippi . This was a struggle as the temperature was hitting 39 degrees.

Then onto Beale street for some lunch. Award winning Gumbo crab cakes and fried chicken.

Bit of shopping in Lanskys, where Elvis was outfitted. The original shop is now a Hard rock Cafe, but next door the shop still trades.

A busy day, so next up, Memphis Music Hall of Fame.





Then a walk down Mulberry St to the Lorraine Motel the location of MLKs assassination. Quite a sombre place given the historical significance.





The heat was getting the better of me so back to Beale St, BB kings for some air con. And Beers!

Wednesday Night is Bike Night where a variety of bikes, Choppers converge on Beale St. The sights and sounds were brilliant.



Well that is the last day of Memphis and all I can say is Thank you, thank you very much uh huh. Next Stop, Nashville


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb