Sun Studios and Graceland


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Memphis
June 21st 2016
Published: January 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 2

Up and a walk along union avenue in the 30 degree heat to the Legendary Sun Studios.

Purchased the obligatory Sun studios T shirt then the 1 and a half tour if the studio. When you get to the studio its self you can't help get the chills! When they play some of the artists over the PA you get a great sense of the history of this place. Being 2 U2 fan as well, they filmed Rattle and Hum here and recorded 3 tracks, and Larry Drum kit is still there.

Hopped on the shuttle bus to the highlight for me, the King of Rock and rolls home, Graceland.

Had mixed feelings about this. I wanted it to be this mystical place in my head and hear I am visiting .

Once you eventually get out the sprawling visitor centre your given your IPad and headphones and on the bus across the road through the gates and up to Graceland.

Without sounding like a pussy as they opened the front door and you are invited in I did have a lump in my throat.

The ipad idea is pretty cool although when Lisa Marie starts speaking as you enter the dining room and kitchen it got a bit weird.

The house section is pretty short ,although i did have VIP passes and did go back in again for a bit of a longer visit in each of the rooms.

The rest of the tour is pretty sprawling. The end of the tour gets a bit emotional . You enter the racketball court where the piano in the lounge is where he sang his last songs before heading upstairs where he died.

As you exit to the the memorial garden and grave sites and the selfie shot at the front steps its over to the car museum and Air plane tours.



Well back on the shuttle to Beale street for some deep south cooking.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb