Staunton to Cookeville


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Tennessee » Cookeville
September 20th 2015
Published: September 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Staunton Virginia to Cookeville, Tennessee

We rode early this morning to make the most of the coolest part of the day. A fairly transit type day really, arriving at Greeneville, Tennessee around 3.30pm. It didn't take long for the famous Southern Hospitality to appear; we stopped for gas and got talking with Ralph and Carol who offered us to come home to their place to stay. ... So we did!

We followed them back to their home where Carol cooked us salmon, halibut, ocra, corn and pinto beans; all delicious. Ralph then took us out for a drive around the Mennonite community which was very opulent and well manicured. We also had a guided tour (by Ralph) through Greeneville which was a historic looking town.

An early night was had and we went to Titford's cafe for Grits and coffee for breakfast. The cafe is supposedly where all big decisions in town are made. We met Police Chief Terry Cannon who gave us an embroidered police patch for our jackets (not sure if that's a prudent idea) and some good riding advice for the dragon. We also met assistant chief Craig Fillers, they seemed genuinely interested in what we were doing and great to chat with.

After saying our goodbyes to Ralph and Carol (and declining Ralph's gifts of a gun and a knife) we got underway to Black Mountain, North Carolina, on the way doing the Dragon's Tail and crossing from Tennessee into North Carolina. The Dragon's Tail was fantastic with 318 curves in 11 miles, we saw some guys flying through there!

We stopped off in Biltmore where one of the Vanderbilt mansions is. The town was so quaint and pretty with turreted buildings and masonry alongside the tree lined streets.

We spent the night at Black Mountain, NC and headed west toward Nashville the next morning. We came west via the 'back roads' staying off the interstate and passing through some awesome little towns and villages. I loved the decorations around for the Fall Celebrations (we just say autumn if anyone actually even notices the change of season).

Our navigator said it was quickest to do the Dragon again to get to our destination (damn) so we headed through for a second bite. Liked it even better this time and we lay well into the corners quite comfortably. We called it
quits for the night at Cookeville near Nashville.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



A gift from RalphA gift from Ralph
A gift from Ralph

Had to decline ...







Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb