Nashville and Memphis


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Alabama » Moulton
September 22nd 2015
Published: September 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

We got a nice early start in Nashville and immediately sorted a hop on hop off trolley to see the sights including Ryman auditorium, country music hall of fame, the Tennessee state museum, the Parthenon etc. Loud live music filled the sweltering streets and there was plenty to do. We went to all of the above and finished off with a cold drink and some live music at Tootsies World Famous Orchid Bar which is a honky Tonk bar on Broadway.

Downtown Nashville was heaving all day as there was a big ice hockey game on at the Bridgestone Arena, very popular and well attended!

We spent the night at Hurricane Mills.

Riding into Memphis was busy but surprisingly navigable and we easily found Graceland. We did a tour of the mansion which was smaller than I expected, although only the downstairs in open to the public. The decor was slightly gaudy, opulent and outlandish. I loved the jungle room. We also saw the trophy room where all his gold records and other trophies were kept, some of his jumpsuits and the meditation garden next to which he is buried (although I've heard rumours to the contrary from some 'suspicious minds' ?). Next we visited Elvis' car museum and two of his planes (the Lisa Marie and Hound Dog II which we were able to walk around inside of.

After a long but enjoyable day and a fantastic sunset we spent the night at Moulton, Alabama.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Downtown Nashville Downtown Nashville
Downtown Nashville

Lots of Honky Tonk bars
Batman building Batman building
Batman building

... If batman were a building he would look like this
Ryman Auditorium Ryman Auditorium
Ryman Auditorium

Formerly the Grand Ole Opry where most of the Johnny Cash Show was filmed and loads of famous country, rock, gospel and blue grass singers perform. The Foo Fighters performed here last year.






Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0681s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb