We Hit the Road Running


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Erie
May 28th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On the RoadOn the RoadOn the Road

Driving through Cincinatti, OH
After a day on the road, we made our first detour in Erie, PA. Neither of us knew much about Erie. I think collectively we knew that there was a Lake Erie, an Erie Canal and that if you added another ‘e’ than you got the word that meant ‘spooky’. We also knew that is was in Pennsylvania, and to us that meant the Pennsylvania Dutch and the Liberty Bell. Yep. That’s pretty much what we knew. A whole lot of not-very-much-that’s-useful. Perhaps that’s why we both jumped at the chance to stop and explore this city at the invitation of a friend of ours. What we came to find out is that Erie has a lot to boast about! This self-deprecated “Mistake on the Lake” is anything but.

We met up with our hostess for the day, Melinda, who graciously volunteered to show us around her hometown on her only day off. From the bicentennial tower, we were able to see the entirity of the Presqule peninsula and could barely make out the Canadian shorelines far off in the distance across the lake. It wasn’t long before our eyes made our bodies jealous and we piled into Melinda’s vehicle to be driven down towards the shores. Neither of us had any idea what beautiful lakeside promenades and beaches existed in this part of the country. The sun was shining a warm 70F and it seemed that everyone and their dog (literally!) was taking advantage of the warmer weather. The scent of honeysuckle blended with the crisp scent of water as we walked towards the shoreline. Tall sand-dunes flanked each side of the parking lot and Melinda explained that each year the beaches get washed out, and so most of ‘beach’ is actually trucked in from elsewhere.

After our midday walk, we found a picnic table amid the crowds at Sara’s Diner, an “Erie Tradition” since 1980. Sara’s has been voted one of Erie’s “Best Fun Food” locals for several years in a row and it was easy to see why. This 50’s style diner decorated with classic ’57 Chevy’s serves local Smith’s foot-long hotdogs, burgers, curly fries and soft-serve. It is the place to be and be seen on warm days in Erie, with good reason. Neither of us could resist the challenge of consuming 12 whole inches of locally processed goodness on a fresh baked hotdog bun, and I’m proud to say we both succeeded! As children trod their way carefully back to their tables, their soft-serve cones covered in chocolate sprinkles teetering one way and another, we debated whether or not to follow suit (Naturally we did! Orange and vanilla soft-serve and fresh strawberry shakes—yum!).

The hours slowly slipped away and soon we needed to get back on the road. After some much appreciated hospitality from Melinda and her family (Thanks so much!) we headed back to the parking lot where we left our car for one last, unexpected, Erie experience - Wegman’s Grocery Store. When we pulled in here earlier in the day it seemed ordinary enough, but upon entering we were both highly impressed. I briefly considered driving up this way routinely if only to do my grocery shopping. This local chain is the supermarket of all supermarkets, not only because of it’s variety but the amount of quality that we were able to find. Pasteurized cheese-food spread right next to imported cranberry Brie. An olive bar on one side of the store, and discount bulk goods on the other. Our budget didn’t allow us to purchase much, although we did buy a
A Town DividedA Town DividedA Town Divided

The main road through Erie, PA.
package of Smith’s hotdogs produced locally outside the city. It’s the small little touches made me appreciate this store - umbrellas for use when it rains, sanitation wipes for the grocery carts, the smiling faces of the clerks and other employees. Someone is doing something right.

We left Erie with a full tank of gas, some good memories of our brief but fulfilling visit and a kick-start for the trip. This is what we wanted to see—the in’s and out’s and cities and byways that make America what it is. To see the United States more closely, more deeply, not just superficially from the one tourist stop to the next. We want to get off the interstates, get off the main roads and explore the great diversity of people, culture, ecology, terrain and (last but not least) food! And so, like the great patriots we are, we’re headed off to our first overnight destination - Canada.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



28th June 2007

Glad you enjoyed Erie!! Hope you are having a great tour across the US!! Miss you both!!

Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 25; qc: 110; dbt: 0.1127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb