Day 2 HAAC - Harrisburg Area Community College


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Next day we kicked off the day with a visit to Harrisburg Area Community College where we had some amazing lectures on the birth of America and Quakers & religion in America by Nancy Summers , city tour of Harrisburg by Sheldon Munn, amazing insights into the U.S. civil war by Rob Malick.



Also i really liked the central campus in Harrisburg which is apprx 200 acres. We were excited to click some beautiful pictures of the blossoming garden. Also since the weather was warmer than Toronto, the campus was a nice place to hang out.

Then we went to the National civil war museum which had some amazing exhibits from the civil war. Having taken a couple of elective courses in history during my undergrad i was able to related to this museum way better. It also got me into thinking about how much after effects the civil war has in the social life of Americans everyday. The north won but the south had all these extra-ordinary commanders and generals which is quite interesting. one of the peculiar exhibit was pickett's hair. George E. Pickett was a Confederate general during the American Civil War (1861–1865) and one of the most controversial leaders in the Army of Northern Virginia. Described by his admirers as swashbuckling, he was famous for his tailored uniforms, gold spurs, and shoulder-length brown hair. At the end, i also bought myself an American civil war souvenir pen for remembrance.

Then we went to Meiji, Vietnamese and Chinese restaurant for group dinner where we discussed more about how the life of everyday Americans has changed because of the civil war.


Additional photos below
Photos: 89, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb